Is there an easy way to edit this.

MrsLittle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Incirlik Air Base, Adana Turkey (thank you Air For
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this off Pinterest, not sure how the rules work with posting other photos. I just wanted to know how I would achieve the effect in post when I try this pose out next week. I was hoping there was an easy way, maybe a lasso tool and paint bucket or something. Thanks!

removed for copyright purposes.

Last edited:
Well, You could try shooting it right in the first place as opposed to that photographer. But with a singular tone backdrop it may not be hard to do with the selection tools, maybe even the magic wand to delete the BG around the baby and then fill with Black on a layer.

OnOne Software's Perfect Mask 5 is an excellent tool for that though

I took this off Pinterest, not sure how the rules work with posting other photos.
It's not allowed here. If it's not your copyrighted photo, you must post a link to it, not the photo itself.

I just wanted to know how I would achieve the effect in post when I try this pose out next week. I was hoping there was an easy way, maybe a lasso tool and paint bucket or something. Thanks!
You'll want to learn how to do masking. There are a ton of free tutorials out there that will help you with that. Just Google or YouTube it. For $25 per month, you can join Lynda.com (even for one month), and find Deke McClelland's excellent Photoshop tutorials that include selection and masking techniques. There's also Topaz ReMask - Masking Made Easy which makes it a breeze to do this sort of thing.

I agree with rephargotohp. The set up for this is much less time than the post work that would be required. By the way, the original photographer did use a black backdrop, so there is likely less masking involved than you may think. I would guess:
- paint black on the left side where there is junk
- duplicate the layer
- multiply the blend mode of the new layer
- select the mask icon in the layer inspector
- use a big soft brush and remove the multiplication by painting black on the mask

inspector.png

Above is the bottom of the inspector panel in PS. The icon with a circle in the square (third over) is the mask icon. If you can find some masking tutorials, it will help to clarify the instructions above. Hope this helps.

Oh, and to take this shot, the original photog made one big error:
- move the backdrop further back so the key light does not illuminate the black.

After that the rest is easier.

I took this off Pinterest, not sure how the rules work with posting other photos.
It's not allowed here. If it's not your copyrighted photo, you must post a link to it, not the photo itself.

Here is where you find the forum rules/regs: Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forum FAQ

Where it says:
* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

Easy way is to get some cheap black material or velvet and cut 2 holes for the father arms lit properly all you would have to do is crop for print and sharpen, print

It's not that big a deal.

With the original file of the shot above, I could mask it in about 20 seconds, drop the entire background to black or any other color in another 3 seconds, and have it resized, sharpened and output in another 30 seconds or less. So, under a minute to process from picture 1 to picture 2, no problem.

Most reactions

Back