Is there an inverse to canon extenders? Is it even possible?

Margus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

Extenders as we know increase lenses reach at the cost of losing quite a bit of light. This makes sense, as to retain a particular f-stop as the focal length increases so must the lens itself get bigger.

So with the 2x extender, 70-200mm f/2.8 becomes effectively 140-400mm f/5.6

I was wondering if there is an inverse extender... like 0.5 extender, which would make it 35-100mm f/1.4

Now when I see the numbers, the quality would not be so wonderful I guess...

There's a plethora of lenses that screw into a lens' filter threads that increase the FOV. IMPO, 99.999% of 'em are junk.

Uhhh. You're never going to get anything larger than the maximum aperture of the lens. So this 35-100 f/1.4 wouldn't happen. If there were such a product, I'd expect it to halve the amount of light hitting the sensor.

You can get a wider view (0.7 adapter) but they are almost always a cheap lens that screws onto the front of the lens. And no, it won't give you a larger aperture.

Although....the F number is a ratio between the focal length and the entrance pupil. So if the 'effective focal length' is altered by the wide angle adapter, you could maybe say that the effective F stop is changed as well. But I'm not too sure about that. :scratch:

But yes, most/all of them are pretty crappy and not worth using if you care about image quality.

I think the market for a professional lens widener is just not there for there to be much work on developing a serious product for this. Teleconverters work because they take one lens and increase its focal length for a small cost - a 300mm to 600mm is a few £100 on a 2*TC as opposed to a few £1000 for a new lens. So at the long end there is a demand for such a product.

However at the wide end of the scale lenses are much cheaper, a few £100 on a lens widener and you're already half way or more to the cost of an actual wide angle lens. So the SLR game there just isn't a market for it; whilst in the point and shoot market there is some market, but because costs in that market are far less the quality goes out the window.

I can't recall ever seeing anyone reporting on a high quality lens widener.

The ONLY high quality lens widener I've ever heard of is the one that's made for Canon Camcorders such as the HF10 or HF11. Here's the adapter: Canon WD-H37 II 37mm Wide Angle Conversion Lens 3187B001 B&H
My videographer friend has one and has gotten good results in video.

But for still photos/DSLR's I've never heard of any of them working well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back