Is there an online Tutorial on the Nikon D40's and D80?

NikonD40x@Denver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thecreativejuicemagazine.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering if there were any good step by step tutorial's on the Nikon D40x and the D80....... I have a friend who just bought the D80 and she has been out of photography for a while and she use to shoot with an Nikon f100......wow is it a little strange to see the old film SLR's.

Anyway she asked me if there were any good free online tutorials for the Nikons. Please help.

(I am not making an attack on you, or your friend)

I don't understand why someone would need a tutorial on how to use a camera when they have the manual.

Even if you don't want to use the manual, just go through the LCD menu's, do everything the camera does, and if you screw it up, there's the reset buttons you hold down.

If she's used an F100 I can't see that she'd have too much difficulty getting used to another Nikon SLR; obviously this one is digital instead of film but in operation it's really not that different. If she's trying to adapt to digital photography then the best thing to do would be to read a book or some tutorials on digital photography in general... and for specific questions about how the D80 works? How about the manual? ;)

Beat me there by a minute Sw1tchFX! :D

Thank you ilockert, I did not ask for a smartass remark nor did I need one....... I didn't ask her how long it has been since she used a camera or if she has ever used a camera before at all. she just asked me about a tutorial after I told her to check the manual.

Your welcome. Just search around on kenrockwell you'll find a lot of helpful things, well I did and still go back to it from time to time.

BE CAREFUL though about what Rockwell says. He's not the bible, Jpeg is not always the superior way of shooting.

Not to bible but gives you a guide in a decent direction. I did the jpeg thing after reading but decided to to give raw the go about and like it much better just wish i didnt have to wait so long to open it.

Not to bible but gives you a guide in a decent direction.
ehhh....sometimes, kida-sorta, depends on what he's talking about.

The more you start shooting, and working, the more you'll understand. He recommends the 18-55 over the 17-55, even if you've got the money. c'mon.

Than again, the people that spend money like that on equipment know who they are, and know what they need-period.

Thank you ilockert, I did not ask for a smartass remark nor did I need one....... I didn't ask her how long it has been since she used a camera or if she has ever used a camera before at all. she just asked me about a tutorial after I told her to check the manual.

You already said she previously used a Nikon F100, why are you now saying you didn't ask if she ever used a camera before?

You didn't get a smartass remark. You got a couple of common sense remarks, but apparently didn't like it. And now you're just being rude.

If you do want smartass remarks, as well as misinformation, then you will find both on Ken Rockwell's site. Good luck.

What's wrong with Ken Rockwell's stuff/advice? I've never read anything there that seems so completely misinformed. He does tend to have a "this is how I do it so you guys should too!" kind of attitude, but overall I find his information is good and to the point.

He does tend to have a "this is how I do it so you guys should too!" kind of attitude.

That's what's wrong with it. I think he even says it on his site, but it's meant to be taken lightly, so that everyone can develop their own style of shooting, and not just be a copy.

For example, I don't really agree with anything he has to say about HDR's made with the automated software.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These rudimentary approaches rarely look good without a lot of manual tweaking.

Well I hate to break it to you ken, HDR isn't something as canned as shooting jpeg, look at what they guy you linked has to do!

[/FONT]

Chris, there are many things I dislike about Ken, but it can probably be summed up by just one: He wrote a review of a lens he'd never touched or used.

Half the time he seems to be having a bit of a joke. Unfortunately a good number of his audience don't seem to realise this.

Of course, if you find his site useful, nothing wrong with that... whatever helps you in your photography. I just think there are far more objective, sensible and reliable source out there and find it a little odd that Ken is so ubiquitous.

Umm, half the time he IS having a laugh!

@Denver, this is presumptuous of me but I think that what your friend is going through is the film to digital angst. This is a usual occurrence with people who shot film for a long time and have yet to realize that the cameras were made to approximate film so that people wouldn't have to completely relearn photography.

Have your friend go to this site.. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
for an overview of digital photography and she will see that it is just a matter of pushing different buttons- and that the manual will do nicely.

BTW, I read Ken Rockwell from time to time also. Keep in mind that he has the sense of humor of a satyr. ;)

You already said she previously used a Nikon F100, why are you now saying you didn't ask if she ever used a camera before?

You didn't get a smartass remark. You got a couple of common sense remarks, but apparently didn't like it. And now you're just being rude.

If you do want smartass remarks, as well as misinformation, then you will find both on Ken Rockwell's site. Good luck.

Yes, she had told me that, but maybe, just maybe she really don't know what the hell she is doing. She could very well just be telling me that she use to shoot a lot. Who am I to judge her, I was just trying to find some good sites for her and pass it along

Most reactions

New Topics

Back