Is there any (RAW) Post Processing Freeware ?

eusufzai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I've bought my first DSLR - Nikon D3000. I'm trying to shoot in RAW format, but I don't have any RAW processing tools other than Nikon's Picture Control. Everyone talking about Photoshop, elements, lightroom, camera raw etc., but these are very pricey software though I can get pirated copies.

Is there any freeware comparable (almost) to Adobe Camera RAW ?

I use one called RawTherapee and really like it. I'm using the 2.4.1 version, not the 3.0 alpha.

You'll still need something like GIMP for some things but for non-destructive RAW work it's a really nice tool.

Nikon's ViewNX2 will adjust the raw photo and has a little bit of photo tools but very little. You can adjust the raw photo in it and use GIMP, Photoscape or Picassa for other things. All three are freeware and you may have to export the image to tiff (16 bit) or JPEG (8 bit) to use them. I've tried all 3 and GIMP seems to be the most powerful but be aware that GIMP uses some 8 bit processing.

picasa, photoscape there is also a program called toneups3 written by a fellow who was involved with nikon and it is about 20 dollars and really is aimed for nikon users.

I've got both Gimp (with the RAW plugin) and RawTherapee...

I use both. The RawTherapee is more intuitive and flows better, I picked it up pretty quickly and use it exclusivly for 100% of my exposure, color correction, curves, and other exposure adjustments. Then export the file to GIMP if I need to do any croping, dodging, burning, cloneing, or physical touchups. I didn't use the Gimp RAW plugin log as it just didn't seem to be as powerful as RawTherapee (though maybe it was all just hidden)

And like Orins, I'm using 2.4.1. I installed the beta 3.0 version and it has been very unstable, crashing often.

Last edited:
Elements goes for 60$. Not a lot these days. And apparently if your a student you can get a wicked discount on lightroom.

Adobe has very good student discounts on most or all of it's software.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back