Is there any value of Unedited Photographs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I recently started photography and got a DSLR.
I have been following a lot of channel on YouTube and forums like this about photography and realized that taking photo is just the tip of Iceberg, and you HAVE TO KNOW EDITING to make it presentable.

I have no grudge with editing and infact amazed how talented people are out there who know PS and Lightroom that well but then is there any forum/platform where the actual raw(not the format) and unaltered pics are appreciated or considered.

Or is it just me who wasn't aware that before even getting a camera, I should have learned PS.
Consider at least tweak your curves in a basic editing program, similar to controlling contrast w/ an enlarger using film.
When I shot B&W 35mm film I edited in the darkroom to make pleasing prints, and choosing paper type was as important.
Ansel Adams incorporated extensive darkroom work to print what he visualized using the zone system.

But, a raw unadulterated documentary style is to be appreciated as well. Especially common with the art community when shooting w/ a pin-hole camera or plastic Holga Russian camera.

Last edited:
There have been several posts lately here on TPF and other forums on SOOC being more true to the spirt of photography than images enhanced in Post. The idea that if you don't do it like I do it makes you less of a photographer is creepy. I will explore my craft the way I want to explore it and if you like my images great, but the only one I am really trying to please is myself, and maybe my wife or I'll get grief for hanging one she doesn't like.

I agree with Strodav. The reason I take any shot is because I liked it. Now there are plenty that come out like crap because I am new at this, but there are also ones that I think are Great just as they were taken.

I take them because I enjoy it and it gives me something to do, I am not doing it to make a living at it. I buy what I consider to be good equipment so that I have a good starting point.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have been following a lot of channel on YouTube and forums like this about photography and realized that taking photo is just the tip of Iceberg, and you HAVE TO KNOW EDITING to make it presentable.

This is only partially correct. All images can be improved on in post to some degree, but it doesn't relieve the photographer of capturing the best possible image SOOC. While you can correct many things post, the old adage "garbage in, garbage out" still holds true. Spending time on composition, exposure and lighting before you snap the shutter eliminates a ton of post work.

Also it's important to realize when to stop with post editing. To often people fail to recognize that an image has a limit on post processing. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make it any less a pig. If you have a good SOOC image you can actually ruin it by overprocessing.

Finally it becomes apparent in a hurry if you have a shoot with a lot of images that the less editing the better. Spending an hour editing one image isn't much, but try that on a 100. Through experience I've developed a consistency in my shooting that makes editing multiple images much less time consuming.

Hi All,

I recently started photography and got a DSLR.

I have no grudge with editing and infact amazed how talented people are out there who know PS and Lightroom that well but then is there any forum/platform where the actual raw(not the format) and unaltered pics are appreciated or considered.

Or is it just me who wasn't aware that before even getting a camera, I should have learned PS.

Bot. ;)

Account banned and thread closed.

Edited to add: thread closed because it's only been catching bot/spam replies like this - they're deleted so members can't see what's been happening. If anyone wants to open a new thread related to this topic, by all means go for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back