I'm receiving my new camera and equipment tomorrow. This is what I got:

Canon EOS Rebel XT
Canon 18-55mm EF-S Lens (kit)
Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens
Sandisk 2GB CompactFlash Card
Crumpler 5 million dollar Bag

Anything else I may need or look into?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :hail:

It might be a good idea to get a UV filter for your lenses as cheap insurance. They are pretty cheap and protect the lens from dust and debris. Get one for each lens since they are pretty cheap.

Tripod would seem the most obvious thing to me... but to be honest only you can know what you need, by working out the limitations of your equipment, which involves going out and using the equipment. Unless you're getting some great discount there's no need to buy everything at the same time.

I'd return that 5 million dollar bag and buy myself a 5D and some L glass :lol:

you'll love the camera, and like mentioned... you dont really know what you need until you realize you cant do something.

A flash might help but gear needs are dictated by what you do with your camera.

I'm receiving my new camera and equipment tomorrow. This is what I got:

Canon EOS Rebel XT
Canon 18-55mm EF-S Lens (kit)
Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens
Sandisk 2GB CompactFlash Card
Crumpler 5 million dollar Bag

Anything else I may need or look into?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :hail:

Oh have you asked a loaded question. How big is your bank account? This is not a cheap hobby and if you are not careful the dark side will take control of you.

Let's see, what else. Tripod, good tripod head, monopod, flash, flash diffuser, 85mm lens, 135mm lens, 70-200mm zoom, 300 mm telephoto, 400mm telephoto, more flashes, stands, wireless flash triggers & umbrellas for beginning portable setup. ND filters, graduate ND filters, Polarizor filters. Cabled shutter release, wireless shutter release. Studio, studio lights, backgrounds, posing chair or stand. Furniture for studio, props for studio, flash meter. Want me to keep going???:D

The posters before me have given some good ideas. Figure out what you want to shoot and start from there. Congrats on the camera and have lots of fun. :wink:

you could get a polarizer filter. it brings out natural colors and brings more contrast into your pictures.

A lot would have to do with the subject matter. If you shoot landscapes I would suggest high quality GND filters and a polarizer. As someone else mentioned "Get a tripod"

polarizer filter, always a must, in my opinion

depending on what you photograph, a tripod could also easily be required

and maybe lens hoods? it's more or less an alternative to the suggested UV filters

and, of course, agree: the most important thing left is start using all that, which is more than enough to start with!! (most of us started with a camera body and a 50mm lens, nothing else... and you didn't really miss anything...)

Personally, I'm approaching 'the Dark Side'!
What you need depends on what you shoot.

I have that same setup just add a 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM and a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod w/ 486RC2 ballhead and UV filters and it gets me by for sure.

definitely a zoom lens and definitely a tripod.
most of my favorite shots are taken down a long lens =)

Most reactions

Back