Is there anything wrong shooting what you like?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I enjoy shooting at the fashion show and sporting event as well panning shooting at the racing cars. These are pretty fun and give me something to do and travel to some places I have never been there before. There was one photographer I met and asked me, "Why do you shoot at the fashion show and racing cars?" Well, is that something wrong? Is it nonchallenging? I find shooting fashion show and racing cars are very challenging. I have to think quickly about focusing the subject and the composition. I also have to think about the motion blur and dof. I have to react fast and shooting in the right moment or I miss the opportunity.

Please no adult language or any substituted word that portrays as adult language. Otherwise, the little bunny with the light saber will get very angry, and you really don't want that!

Unless you're getting paid for commission work, I gotta ask why you seem to thing there's anything wrong.

Im trying to get into shooting fashion..But no runway work for me...

Shoot whatever you like. People who ask questions like that are usually hopeless boors, only trying to build their own self-esteem by trying to provoke you, or to make you feel bad. People like that really need to be cut loose from your life, if possible. I find the best reply to people who ask questions like that to be a simple, multi-pronged reply, "And why do you even care? Is it something you feel strongly about? Are you really that insecure?"

It's funny what cowards some people are; when they encounter somebody who recognizes a passive-aggressive line of questioning and turns it on right back at them, that type of person seems to have a weenie that shrivels up pretty fast, and they sort of mumble something, then skulk away. Perhaps you ought to practice replying as above, with ,"And why do you even care? Is it something you feel strongly about? Are you really that insecure?"

That's THREE, simple, direct verbal challenges. Try it sometime you run into this type of person. There's very little a bully likes less than having a person REPLY with a direct challenge.

I've been a photographer for years and I've gotten asked all kinds of things... am I taking pictures for the local paper? no, do I know where they can get the plastic doodad that was given out at tonight's game? go ask at Will Call - and so it goes.

I think if people aren't photographers they often just don't get what you're doing, they're just curious. I've had people look at me, look up and around, and usually from the look on their faces I figure they have no idea what in the world I could possibly be taking a picture of.

To a nonphotographer it might be hard to understand why you'd shoot a fashion show and racing, but if you like shooting events they're similar in that you're trying to catch an interesting moment, capture the action, etc.; just tell them that, or that you like to shoot a variety of different events for the practice etc. Usually I just give a brief answer and then go on with what I'm doing, if they're particularly chatty I just say I have to go on to take pictures of something else and go about my business; just be cordial and friendly and keep it brief and go on with what you're doing.

I think if you're stuck shooting things you don't care about, you are probably going to get bored and give up.

I've had people come up to me and do the same thing Sharon's talking about-just look around, shrug, and leave. I've had tons of questions on the oddball cameras I drag out to test. which are mostly TLRs or cameras with waist level finders. Nobody has any idea what they ARE, which kinda surprises me.

I don't enjoy working with people much because frankly I don't care what THEY want in a photo. If someone likes something, I'll gladly sell it to them, but that's not my main source of income (nobody's done that and frankly I don't expect it to happen at this point). Brides scare me. Fashion isn't my thing (no offense). Macro and landscape (about as far apart on the size scale as you can get) are my things. Cars too. Weird things, things that are strange and awkward tend to fascinate me too, so I try shooting that too.

I used to do that.. But then I have so many of my kids photos and clients photos, I kinda stop doing that.

Bunny doesn't give a **** about ****ty language because the ****ing filter will ****ing filter it.

Bunny doesn't give a **** about ****ty language because the ****ing filter will ****ing filter it.

Those who know can get around the filter...........
wink3.gif

Wait till they ask why you have a 500GB drive full of raw files of your three cats.

It's a hobby. Hobbies are for YOUR enjoyment, not to stress you out trying to live up to a standard set by someone else.
I would rather shoot myself in the foot then sit through a fashion show, but old buildings and weathered wood may put you to sleep.
Just have fun. Save the worrying for when you begin to get paid for your efforts

Who cares what people think of your subject matter. Shoot what makes you happy, challenges you, and keeps you excited about photography.

I'm just getting around the fact that when you take pictures you will always get weird looks. I like taking pictures, it's fun and makes me happy. Who cares what people think.I want to take nice shots, so I need to work towards them.
I find myself taking pictures of everything, but photography is also a way to enhance my other hobbies as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back