Is there anything wrong shooting what you like?

Lol.. well they don't usually ask me about the 200 mm, or if they do they generally say something like "Wow, you must be able to zoom in a lot with that!", thinking of course since it is a big lens that means it must be a monster telephoto of some sort. I generally just smile and thank them and move on.. lol. Not much point in trying to explain the whole 2.8 aperture thing to them. I have run into a couple of guys that really knew there stuff and they were a real delight to talk to, one of them was there with his kids and they had brought a bridge camera with them that day but apparently he's got quite a bit of coin tied up in both Canon and Pentax gear. Nice guy, we swapped a lot of useful information.

Funny I was at a car show once and someone had a Nikon VRII 70-200 2.8. I joked: what cost more, that porsche or your lens? just to break the ice. He didn't think it was cute and like duh the porsche by a long shot, and didn't want to continue the conversation.

Lol.. well they don't usually ask me about the 200 mm, or if they do they generally say something like "Wow, you must be able to zoom in a lot with that!", thinking of course since it is a big lens that means it must be a monster telephoto of some sort. I generally just smile and thank them and move on.. lol. Not much point in trying to explain the whole 2.8 aperture thing to them. I have run into a couple of guys that really knew there stuff and they were a real delight to talk to, one of them was there with his kids and they had brought a bridge camera with them that day but apparently he's got quite a bit of coin tied up in both Canon and Pentax gear. Nice guy, we swapped a lot of useful information.

Funny I was at a car show once and someone had a Nikon VRII 70-200 2.8. I joked: what cost more, that porsche or your lens? just to break the ice. He didn't think it was cute and like duh the porsche by a long shot, and didn't want to continue the conversation.

Lol.. not much point in wasting time on folks that don't have a sense of humor.

From a Hobby stand point, If you are not shooting things you like, whats the point?

I agree with every one who said to shoot whatever you want. That's the only way we can find out what we really like to shoot. Who cares what other people think? As long as you like it and have fun with it, that's all that matters

Please no adult language or any substituted word that portrays as adult language. Otherwise, the little bunny with the light saber will get very angry, and you really don't want that!....you censored my reply then

I never get asked anything now days but "Why do you still shoot film?".....I just say...."Because".

Lol - I had a guy sit down next to me at a swim meet last year and ask me what settings I was using. He had a brand-new 60D, a couple grand in glass, and not a clue how to use them. I do sometimes get the impression that some of these people are looking for a "quick fix" solution rather than a ticket to spend any real time learning how to take decent photos... whatever the equipment.

The people you guys meet are way ahead of the people I meet. Every time I get asked what lens I'm using and I say 70 to 200mm I'm met with a blank stare and I wait for the eventual question that ALWAYS follows; 90% of the time in these exact words.... "so how many times zoom is that?". To which I reply "Just under 3". Again ... every time "Well that's not very much. I would think it zooms much further with how big it is!". And this is why I now ignore people.

But for the most part it's folks with the P&S cameras that spot me and figure, hey, that guy can take our picture! I guess they figure if I'm weighted down with all of my own gear I'm a lot less likely to try and run off with theirs - Lol.
i still prefer my bridge. i am making myself try to get used to a dslr again. Least for now. For me though, bridge cameras are where its at.

Most reactions

Back