Is there anything wrong shooting what you like?

It's much more fun than shooting things you don't like.

Yes. You in particular are only allowed to shoot turtle photos. This is your destiny. You can try and escape your fate temporarily with your cars and your fancy dresses, but it will only come back to haunt you by resulting in an even bigger and more all-consuming obligation to turtle photography later on.

you guys ever kind of look around and think it has already been done before? I try to think of something original to shoot, but there really isn't much that comes to mind. As everyone seems to have already shot everything a gazillion times...
Like it has all already been done, and over done?????

you guys ever kind of look around and think it has already been done before? I try to think of something original to shoot, but there really isn't much that comes to mind. As everyone seems to have already shot everything a gazillion times...
Well yeah, that's why portrait photography represents most of the $$$ to be made. That particular human being has usually NOT been photographed professionally a gazillion times, and so they are willing to pay for what is actually a fairly unique image of themselves.

And also photojournalism / news photographer can still make $$$: that particular news event just happened and thus cannot have been photographed a gazillion times throughout history. You can't go and photograph new images of 9/11 or Iwo Jima or whatever, because the moments have passed.

Photographs of flowers and cute cats, however, don't really sell very well by comparison, because they have been photographed a gazillion times (and cats can't pay for vanity uniqueness)

Shoot whatever you like, but do the art a favor and spread the word.

I ran into a couple of guys downtown Minneapolis who saw my camera and wanted to ask questions. They had talked to another photographer (in downtown Minneapolis!) who explained to them that any picture with anything manmade in it is crap. Those were exactly their words.

I nicely explained that that was probably just the photographer's preferred style and proceeded to have a nice little chat and even popped a few shots of the one guy. Nothing special, but had a good time and got good memories.

I am a bird hunter and fly fisherman and most of my photos are grip and grin photos of trout being released or posed shots of birds and shotguns. I am new on here and posted a photo of a few dead quail posed on a fence post. Despite the fact there was no blood, I was politely told that many folks would not care for my photos. While I don't want to offend people, that will not change my primary subject matter.

Josh

Try shooting at a Zoo with a 300 f/2.8 or 200-400 f/4.... or even just a 70-200 f/2.8 and you'll be amazed at all the ridiculous questions and comments. When I'm out shooting (especially where there are lots of other people) I do a pretty good job of just ignoring everyone. If someone does say something to me I typically forget what they said about 2 seconds later. I'm just there to enjoy some sights and get some shots. The rest doesn't matter.

Well yeah, that's why portrait photography represents most of the $$$ to be made. That particular human being has usually NOT been photographed professionally a gazillion times, and so they are willing to pay for what is actually a fairly unique image of themselves.

And also photojournalism / news photographer can still make $$$: that particular news event just happened and thus cannot have been photographed a gazillion times throughout history. You can't go and photograph new images of 9/11 or Iwo Jima or whatever, because the moments have passed.

Photographs of flowers and cute cats, however, don't really sell very well by comparison, because they have been photographed a gazillion times (and cats can't pay for vanity uniqueness)

Yep, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, and had a camera that wasn’t attached to a phone/tablet, and shazam! The most famous photo of my life.

Almost a year ago, Carnival Triumph in the Gulf of Mexico

$DSC_3697.JPG

If it doesn't involve wedding vows, I'll shoot it.

I've never felt like I ever needed to justify that to anyone, nor do I believe I ever could feel like I needed to justify it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back