Is there pleasure in busniess?

I don't know a single professional photographer that saw any of this coming, certainly not 15-20 years ago.
I should touch base with my local professional to see what's up. We've engaged his services for years, including graduations, baby photos, family portraits, and incidentals over the years. A month ago I noticed his building is up for sale.

Most of the studios in my home town have closed down, there is one that bought the building 30 years ago and is still in business, but his work flow is half what it was. A few of the guys that started out 10 years ago have rented small studio space, others have built them in their homes. Many others have simply vanished. Some are trying to compete, but when grocery stores start opening up studios and put out garbage low end package deals to customers that don't care about the quality, it's tough staying in business. Weddings are constant, people still want pictures, but many are willing to skip quality to save money by using the proamateurs to do them. They may end up hating the pictures, but they get what they paid for.

I wish I took up engineering or accounting as a hobby. They seem to make so much more money.

lol, yeah as an engineer we get a yearly salary and health benefits but there's not much beyond that. Engineer's salaries haven't kept up with the times either. Companies don't hire engineers for life like they used to. We're seen as expendable due to the increasing number of graduates each year. Luckily I have enough experience to carry me quickly from one job to another when companies cut engineers.

I haven't posted in here in quite a while, I usually just lurk and read what I can. Hopefully I'll get back into posting more of my recent work. Do I find pleasure in work? In photography, yes absolutely. I get excited every time I land a new client, wrap up a session or do something new. I rarely get that way with my day job.

lol, yeah as an engineer we get a yearly salary and health benefits but there's not much beyond that. Engineer's salaries haven't kept up with the times either. Companies don't hire engineers for life like they used to. We're seen as expendable due to the increasing number of graduates each year. Luckily I have enough experience to carry me quickly from one job to another when companies cut engineers.
Totally agree. The only way for younger engineers to make more and increase responsibility is to jump from job to job every few years. Otherwise, they get pigeonholed. (I work for a very, very large corporation, so it may be different at smaller companies.)

Totally agree. The only way for younger engineers to make more and increase responsibility is to jump from job to job every few years. Otherwise, they get pigeonholed. (I work for a very, very large corporation, so it may be different at smaller companies.)
It's the same for smaller companies. The best way to advance is to make a move sideways into a different company.

I toiled as a professional photographer most of the time over a span of 45 years. I am now retired, and now have more great cameras and lenses than I know how to deal with and I was a lot happier back in my active photography days.
Did you ever get to meet and photograph Princess Grace of Monaco (Grace Kelly), Gene Kelly the dancer, Groucho Marx, the Queen of Afghanistan, Joe DiMaggio, Muhammad Ali, the Beatles ... you get the idea.
And then there is the pleasure of a job well done. Photos in history books. Nominated for a Pullet Surprise by the world's largest photo news organization.

I toiled as a professional photographer most of the time over a span of 45 years. I am now retired, and now have more great cameras and lenses than I know how to deal with and I was a lot happier back in my active photography days.
Did you ever get to meet and photograph Princess Grace of Monaco (Grace Kelly), Gene Kelly the dancer, Groucho Marx, the Queen of Afghanistan, Joe DiMaggio, Muhammad Ali, the Beatles ... you get the idea.
And then there is the pleasure of a job well done. Photos in history books. Nominated for a Pullet Surprise by the world's largest photo news organization.

Just an FYI, you don't have to meet famous people or win awards to enjoy and love what you do. Also, it's not necessary a business goal either unless you can convert it into bookings :D I met my share of famous people shooting for Macy's and that did nothing for me LOL

Well excuse me for the terrible sin of not wanting what you want, and not marching in lock-step to your off key music.

I'm not sure what just happened, this thread went sideways quickly. If we really want to start comparing what "famous" people we've met as photographers I can throw down a pretty good list, but it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. I enjoy meeting people as part of my job, it's a large part of why I am still doing it. As I said earlier, I'm not good at the business side, the only pleasure I get out of the business side is sending out invoices and getting paid.

I'm looking for some honest insight here.

If monetary gains were not a necessity of life, would you still run a photography business?
Does running a photography business help you fulfill your passion for the craft?
Do you feel that you are making any sort of difference in the lives of your clients? Or is it simply a means to an end?

I would be grateful for your thoughts on the matter.

- I don't think I'd run any business if I didn't need the money, but that might be against the spirit of your question.
- Running a business lets me fulfill my wallet, which then lets me fulfill my passion by letting me take on shoots that I normally wouldn't get paid for.
- I'm absolutely making a difference in the lives of my clients. I had a very nice lady come in to her viewing and cry because she never thought she'd have such nice photos of her family. Now was my plan to have that happen? No, but I did plan on giving her the best photos I could. So not really sure where that falls on the last part of your question.

If you're a good photographer and being undercut by people with less skills, then you're doing it wrong. :D
I'm grouchy, surly and I hate talking to people. I wish I could just concentrate on taking the photos and leave the soft skills and frou frou to someone else.

I havent engaged much in this thread, because I have been too busy contemplating the responses. I really do appreciate all of the perspectives given here, its provided much food for thought.

I suppose the only real answer here is "You'll never know until yo try"

Though a unanimous Yes or No, certainly would have made decision making a lot easier. ;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back