Is there such a thing as a mini SLR camera?

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering if there is such a thing as a mini 35mm SLR camera. Something that would fit comfortably in your pocket, and still let you have control over the aperature and exposure settings. :0) Maybe with a folding lense to make it more compact, similar to the way the old cameras use to be. :0).

Range finders are usually much smaller than SLRs and will still give you aperture and shutter controls; some have interchangable lenses, some don't.

As you mentioned, old 35mm folders will fold up pretty small (no interchangable lenses).

Nikon makes a really nice (expensive) RF called the 35Ti. It's a beauty and very compact.

GerryDavid said:
Just wondering if there is such a thing as a mini 35mm SLR camera. Something that would fit comfortably in your pocket, and still let you have control over the aperature and exposure settings. :0) Maybe with a folding lense to make it more compact, similar to the way the old cameras use to be. :0)

Olympus Pen F (1/2 frame) comes to mind, unfortunately production ceased in 1966. It had a Zuiko 38mm/1.8 lens, very sharp and crisp. Occasionally you might find one or two in functioning order.

The only other entry would be a step down in film size, The Pentax 110 SLR system, built to resemble a miniature 35mmSLR.

I think that best alternative for portability would be an APS camera or, as Matt suggested before, a folding RF.

I was going to mention that 110 Pentax SLR, but I figured it was too crazy. Was that really ever popular? I mean, I want one, but I'm a camera freak, and I love Pentax.

ksmattfish said:
I was going to mention that 110 Pentax SLR, but I figured it was too crazy. Was that really ever popular? I mean, I want one, but I'm a camera freak, and I love Pentax.

Oh yes, it's still popular! There are quite a few for sale on E-bay, some at very decent prices.

:D

Most reactions

Back