Is there such an ailment as "photographer's arm" or "wrist" or "elbow?"

I'm 43. I assure you this is not the problem. :er:

futile flailing is equally injurious.
Have you considered a mechanical solution? https://www.google.com/search?q=mec...s=chrome.0.57.7371j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Have you considered a serious answer or do you prefer to continue with your junior high antics?

At some point, Lew, you should outgrow these types of replies.

Yes, but I haven't outgrown the urge to respond to silly questions with silly answers.
Just as you shouldn't get legal answers on an internet forum, don't expect to get complicated specialty questions about your health answered on an internet forum about photographers.

Your hands, arms and wrists are very complex interactions of second and third class levers and the tendonitis you probably have is best diagnosed by a physiatrist (sports medicine).

futile flailing is equally injurious.
Have you considered a mechanical solution? https://www.google.com/search?q=mec...s=chrome.0.57.7371j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Have you considered a serious answer or do you prefer to continue with your junior high antics?

At some point, Lew, you should outgrow these types of replies.

...complicated specialty questions about your health answered on an internet forum about photographers.

Your hands, arms and wrists are very complex interactions of second and third class levers and the tendonitis you probably have is best diagnosed by a physiatrist (sports medicine).

Good spin. I am not looking for a complicated medical diagnosis. I was asking if other photographers ever experienced this type of thing, perhaps from carrying around heavy photography equipment or otherwise, and what they did about it.

have you googled carpal tunnel? I bet thats what it is. Wrist braces help, as do those things for your keyboard. I get it occasionally, most likely from my other job though.

I was at an assignment one time where a chiropractor had a booth set up to check balance. You put each foot on a separate scale and they were supposed to read the same if you we're in balance. I was about 10 pounds heavy on my left side. After a while, I got to thinking about it and decided that I wanted to try it with while holding my camera equipment. I went back and was in perfect balance when holding all my gear. I bought a belt pack very soon after to attempt to help out with that.

My shoulder and back tend to hurt more than my wrists or hands though. Also, I do this full-time so my experiences may be different, depending on how much you shot.

I was asking if other photographers ever experienced this type of thing, perhaps from carrying around heavy photography equipment or otherwise, and what they did about it.

Nope, I am a real man with big muscles and a full beard.

I wrote a fitness book for photographers a few years ago and sent e-mails out to 100 photographers I know worldwide, asking if they have any physical problems they believe is a direct result from photography. The top problems were, neck, shoulder, lower back, knees and elbow/wrist. It is all related. What people forget to do is stretch before they do anything, they just assume that picking up a camera and heading out isn't physical work, especially at the amateur user end, where in most cases a small camera bag is carried and one camera body. Wrist/forearm problems are becoming more of an issue with computer work, and with simply holding onto a camera body too tight. Holding your camera wrong will add pressure to your wrist as well, a lot of people use a reverse grip where the thumb is next to the camera body instead of away from it. Using a soft rubber ball and squeezing it helps. Simple bicep curls using your camera will help with the elbow. But the single most important thing is that if there is pain there is a problem, either rest it, or have it checked by a good sports physiotherapist, acupuncture can be a great help.

I broke my wrist once while logging, I didn't cry about it. Just used some duct tape to get all the sticky-out bits back into place and continued to work until the job was done.

So I can relate.

I broke my wrist once while logging, I didn't cry about it. Just used some duct tape to get all the sticky-out bits back into place and continued to work until the job was done.

So I can relate.

I used to be an adventurer, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

I recently said **** it though and I am still an adventurer with +1 arrow.

^jeeeez! haha- time to hit the gym.

Most reactions

Back