Is this a big deal?

I hope it is the real mcoy, and if so, good for you, but the fact that they've chosen an image that I doubt they could use makes me wonder just a little bit if there isn't something fishy. I've seen some pretty friggin' good PayPal notices telling me that I need to do this or that with my account, hopefully this is NOT something like that.
This is indeed the real 'mccoy'. They contacted me via flickr mail. Are you all not flickr users? This is something most other photographers I know, know about. Anyway, thanks for all the congrats and well wishes guys. You sure are cynical. In other news I just created my account with Getty images...the real one :) So as soon as I upload my pics and model releases I can show you that YES! It is "real"...sheesh.....

"Garbage or Gold"

Just remember... people who make a business of collecting garbage have to charge you, because nobody is standing in line to buy it from them.

And people who make a business selling gold always have to buy the gold, because nobody is standing in line to give it to them.

So... if they're asking you for money, ANY money, guess which business model is indicated.

Aside: People always make the mistake of thinking "garbage or gold" is determined by them. It isn't. "Garbage or gold" is determined by whether they're paying you for it, or you're paying them to haul it away.

Last edited:
Thank you! This is an older thread and since I have had several invites. But I decided not to license to getty after all, for various reasons.

Thank you! This is an older thread and since I have had several invites. But I decided not to license to getty after all, for various reasons.

Let me guess. Turns out they were Vampires. Man, I really hate it when that happens. I mean from watching twilight you think it would be cool right? But in real life.. eh, not so much.. lol

From what I understand they have staff that search Flickr for pictures they can use to sell but I don't get the impression the rates are necessarily what a photographer could get for photos that could be used commercially. Probably just as well to determine value, handle your own sales, licensing/usage, etc. and figure out the best way to use your photos rather than let someone else profit from your work.

That was my immediate thought, as well.

And, as an aside, the photo of the three kids on the beach is dynamite...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back