Is this a good artillery of film for two weeks?

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. After many hours of research, I've put together a tentative list of film to pick up for when I go to Utah in August. I'll be there for two weeks. I've also added the prices for some of the films, and a brief conclusion I've drawn up based on my research of what the film is like. I'd really appreciate any input on the prices, and especially on my conclusion of the film. And is this a good film package to use in Utah? Thanks a lot.:)

5 rolls B&W ($28) - Kodak TMax 100
5 rolls slide ($28) - Fuji Provia 100F (more saturated, bluer hues)
5 rolls slide ($28) - Fuji Velvia 100F (more vibrant colours)
5/10 rolls negative - Kodak Porta 160NC (yellow/older hue)
^(swap 5) 5/10 rolls negative - Kodak Porta 160VC (more natural colours)

That ought to work. I usually stick with only a couple, but you have a nice mix. Two bodies would be nice to have B&W and color.

I'd double it, myself. And make most of that doubling in the Black and White department. Lots of shapes and lines and contours out there that beg for a monochrome rendering. Just me though.

I would get atleast a few rolls of faster film, cause you never know if you are going to be shooting at dusk w/o a tripod or need a faster shutter speed

That's it? Why so little film? I'd probably go through that in about 2-3 days on my FM10.

Oh yeah if you have the time, order it from B&H and have it shipped to you or wherever you're staying. You can get more film for the same price.

A couple rolls of 400 wouldn't hurt.

.... wow ... I had forgotten .... I knew there was a reason I shifted from 35mm to digital .... I would have said much more film (or bulk-load) and then I would have gone broke ...

You might want to try Ilford FP4 and HP5 as alternatives to T Max.

Seems like enough, for an afternoon of shooting. You'd do better in the future to start eyeballing ebay for close/out of date film (especially b&w) at good prices, and stock up. You'd be surprised how much film you can fit in a freezer.

erie

It's been a while since I've done film, but don't they still sell it in bulk?

I'd like to have more film, but this is all I can really afford. My primary shooting will be done with my XTi, but I want to use film as well, so this is for my secondary camera for the best shots.

I found some really good deals on Ektachrome, I've got about 25 rolls coming. About 20 of those are EPN, expired 6 years ago. I hope those are good as well?

Last edited:
mmmmm, shoot your fresh film first. I dunno about taking film that's 6 years out of date on a trip like this - use it for something not quite as important.

Utah is red rock country. :love: Use a warming filter with that Portra and you might be trembling with joy at your results.

If you're shooting film during the day, you will be well served with your 100 speed film. The sun is relentlessly bright. Don't worry about not having any 400 speed film if you have a tripod; you'll be fine for early evening shots.

That big rocky country is stunning for B&W, too, of course - again, reach for a filter, at least a deep yellow, but you might have fun experimenting with a light red, too.

You won't go wrong with any of that Fuji film, of course. You'll enjoy comparing the Velvia against the Provia upon your return, and it can help you with your decision making down the road. It's all excellent quality.

I envy you the trip; it's been a few years now since I've been there. Just thinking about your film lineup makes me want to go! :lol: Have a blast, and I can't wait to see your results.

Thanks. I'm now wishing I could get some Astia, that looks really awesome. Too bad B&H is out :(. Maybe I can find some on the trip.

I've just bought two filters, a red Cokin A003, and yellow Cokin A001. And I'm going to pick up a Cokin warming filter when the auction ends on eBay. I'm nearly set. My biggest problem is going to be actually getting the pictures though, I really hope my XTi can give me proper meterings :).

just make sure the iso is the same as the film speed and if you are metering for the whole scene that angles of view are similar and the Xti should work perfectly

Most reactions

New Topics

Back