Is this a good deal??

Psalm23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found a Canon Rebel Xt with 18-55 lens for $220 from Office Depot. Now I know that is not the best but I am on a limited budget and new to digital SLRs. Is this a good deal?

It works out around 1/5th of what I paid for mine when I bought it. Check out my flickr site if you're worried about the quality of the images you can get out of one. Sounds like a bargain to me.

It works out around 1/5th of what I paid for mine when I bought it. Check out my flickr site if you're worried about the quality of the images you can get out of one. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Did you use the 18-55 lens with those pics? Isn't that a crummy lens?

You'd need to check back through to the earlier ones. Most of the stuff since December 2007 has been with the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 USM IS. Plenty of the earlier one were with the the kit lens though. Like this one for example --> Reflections

Optically, it's not as bad as people would have you believe, but to be truthful, it is a little lightweight and perhaps not the sturdiest lens on the planet.

You'd need to check back through to the earlier ones. Most of the stuff since December 2007 has been with the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 USM IS. Plenty of the earlier one were with the the kit lens though. Like this one for example --> Reflections

Optically, it's not as bad as people would have you believe, but to be truthful, it is a little lightweight and perhaps not the sturdiest lens on the planet.

Good way to put it, really. Though I did see the camera that Psalm was talking about, at Walmart for roughly $190. So, meh...I dunno. I am a Canon guy, and can't bring myself to go to anything else. But I am looking at the XTI, or the 30D which I can use my EFIII lens on; because I also think the EF lenses are better, and more sturdier.

Yes it is a great deal. I kick myself in the butt everytime I think of how, I missed buying a couple of D50s for $300. at Staples when they were closing them out.

Good way to put it, really. Though I did see the camera that Psalm was talking about, at Walmart for roughly $190. So, meh...I dunno. I am a Canon guy, and can't bring myself to go to anything else. But I am looking at the XTI, or the 30D which I can use my EFIII lens on; because I also think the EF lenses are better, and more sturdier.

Shoot $190 is a great deal b/c Walmart is now selling them for $500 :confused:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3626648

I went ahead and bought the Canon Rebel Xt from Office Depot. It was $220. I think I am gonna be happy. I think this is going to be a great starter for me.

Now....

Where can I find great but inexpensive lens...lol

Shoot $190 is a great deal b/c Walmart is now selling them for $500 :confused:
Where can I find great but inexpensive lens...lol

It was prob. on sale for Christmas, I haven't been back, so I won't know until tommorow if it was/is.

And avoid B/H, they are mad expensive.

$220 was a good price, a lot of advanced point and shoots are at least that much but without the changeable lens.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Xt a lot:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back