IS this a good deal?

Get D5200 without even thinking twice if you can afford it. From what I've read about the lens, it's worth the money spend. So if you can't afford anything better get it, if you can however, get Nikon 70-300 VR or Tamron 70-300 VC.
It's not "that" great a deal btw, I can see amazon listing for 140$ new..

no OS, on a telephoto, no care.

.. found this deal on a 70-300mm lense, is this a good deal or not.

I have never used Groupon, so can't comment on them.

The description DOES NOT say if it has the focusing motor in it, i.e.: AF-S for Nikon. So I would be wary of it just for that reason.

Secondly; anyone who writes an ad for a camera lens ought to know the basics, at least. This from the listing:

• Maximum aperture: f22-f32
  • Minimum aperture: f4-5.6
Which is reason enough for me to NOT purchase this lens.

The D5300 has been out for a while and has some features not in the D5200. I'm not sure of the price difference though. If the D5200 is like the D5300 the lens must have an internal focus motor, Lens AF-S ---- ----
Not sure of the D3200 but if it does not require the -S then there are a lot of inexpensive used lenses out there.

If it is a Sigma it would STATE "HSM" or hyper-sonic motor, which is a MUST-HAVE for autofocusing on the D3xxx and D5xxx series bodies. I believe this is a NOS item, meaning New Old Stock. If you buy a 70-300 Sigma, you WANT one that says APO, and also HSM. APO means apochromatic meaning it can focus primary light rays of different wavelengths to a more or less common focus point, which alleviates color fringing effects, which become problematic at longer focal lengths--like 300mm and a bit under.

The lens price is based on pie in the sky MSRP, which is never anywhere even close to street price on a Sigma lens; that practice has always allowed Sigma dealers to "discount" from blue sky down to a nice, tidy profit for themselves. The Tamron 70-300 VC and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5~5.6 AF-S VR-G are the class-leading lenses in this category.

Incidentally, for right around the asking price of that deal you can find many offers of a (used) 50mm AF-S 1:1.8 G which would be an excellent add-on lens.

Most reactions

Back