Is this a good picture?

NiKKi22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im new at this. :blushing: I have always loved taking pictures, but have never really gotten to serious about it. So I decided to enter this photo contest on Pictures.com. I just received a letter yesterday saying my pic is a semi-finalist in the contest, and its going to be published in a book. :D So what do you guys think? Good pic for a begginer?

family025.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

It looks pretty good, I like the background. However, the bright out-of-focus, branch is distracting. Also, turn off the date stamp...we don't need to see that.

I've got bad news for you about that contest...it's just a trick to get you to buy their book. They have a 'contest' and then put all of the entries into a book. Thousands of small pictures go into a book...then they try to sell you the book for $30 or $50. I don't know if that qualifies as a scam or not...but be aware.

I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

I agree about the date stamp, and the branch at the top.

and im not buyin the book, i figured that part was a scam, but at least im a semi finalist. or is that scam too?

thanks for the reply.

I don't remember for sure, but I did the same thing about 3 or 4 years ago. I think they said I was a semi finalist as well. I thought it was a good photo so I was excited...but the more I learned about it...the fishier it felt. They send you things in the mail...but they always want you to buy something.

People only send in photos that they think are good, so they play on your excitement. I don't know, but I'm thinking that they tell everyone that they are semi-finalists. It gets people more excited and just that much closer to buying the book or any of the other stuff they are selling. I guess the test would be to send them some crappy photos and see if you get the same result.

I might be way off, and this is legit...but I've been down this road and it didn't feel right to me.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, sorry.

There are plenty of legit contests out there. You could even join a local photo club or society. Heck, even this site has a monthly contest.

Yep, I did the picture.com thing a while ago. It was always something else they were sending that you should buy for your "prize winning photo" or whatever. Wasn't long until you realize what they're game actually is. Although, I got my book almost for free as I won one of their puzzle games and got a $50 check from them :D Book was $72 though :|

love the color in the sky, but i agree with big mike about the branch. I fell for the pictures.com thing a few years ago, or one similar. I think just about every photo is a "semifinalist". There were some great suggestions in here about alternatives, including this forum's contest. I'm new here, but this site is great. Hope to see more pics... ;)

Very nice color in the background and the branch could be fixed in PS (at least the brightness). Good eye. :)

Most reactions

Back