Is this a keeper? (Melancholy Daffodil)

JigsawMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Borrowed a 100-400L today and was just getting used to keeping it steady when hand shooting and was practicing in the parents garden. Didn't really think about what I was taking, this was at 100mm. 400mm is pretty hard to hand hold especially in poor light (foggy) when the shutter speed has to be so low.

melancholydaffodil.jpg

The Daffodil looks kinda sad and I think I like it. Does it need cropping somewhat?

OK.. advice taken and cropped.

melancholydaffodil_crop.jpg

I'm with Graphiti. Crop off the right hand side... that will also take the subject out of the centre which I think on this occassion will add to the shot. I think it's potentially a good'un.

I would crop it portrait and clone out the dust spot to the right of the flower.

I really like the tone of the image.

Eric

Portrait style was my immediate thought, too.
Though I do admit that a combination of the "sad daffodils" and the blurred ones on the left could be a nice variety, too. Try this and that, but the right flowers need to go to make this a keeper, I think.

Oh, and I'm only just realising how new you are to the board, JigsawMan!
Welcome! You have found the right place for you! You fit right in!

2Stupid2Duck said:
I'm with Graphiti. Crop off the right hand side... that will also take the subject out of the centre which I think on this occassion will add to the shot. I think it's potentially a good'un.

Thanks for the comments (everyone). I think it does looks better cropped. Tone was created by playing with the exposure settings in Capture One Pro, not exactly sure what I did as this program seems to have a steep learning curve so I just go ahead and twiddle everything until I get the 'right' look.

Most reactions

Back