Is this a portrait?

bumkicho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As the title says, would you consider this image a portrait? Please be specific about why you think it is a portrait or why you think it isn't.

30621018675_2f8b97f5c6_b.jpg

I would say it is not a portrait, but a floral image, with an OOF person in the background.

ie, the SUBJECT is a small branch with some flowers on it.
The Out Of Focus background happens to contain a person.

With portraiture, generally, you don't want anything in the foreground as it detracts from the main subject. Artsy stuff excluded. This just has a really OOF person in the background behind the in-Focus subject. Thus it's a photo of a flowery branch.

The flower seems to be the focus here. So... I would say no.

Technically, since a person is in this photo, I'm sure some could argue otherwise, but in my book... nah.

It is what you want it to be, because in the end it only matters what you think. So let us know what you want it to be and then will tell you what we really think .

I personally wouldn't consider it a portrait, however since there's a person in the shot I think it certainly belongs in this part of the forum.

I guess most would consider it not a portrait, which is fine. I personally didn't think about it until I watched a video from Adorama about whether you would consider it a portrait if a person's face was mostly covered. I thought that was interesting; hence this post.

I guess most would consider it not a portrait, which is fine. I personally didn't think about it until I watched a video from Adorama about whether you would consider it a portrait if a person's face was mostly covered. I thought that was interesting; hence this post.
Is this the is it a portrait short video?

Because if you play it again you're find out he uses a 4/3rd camera and uses f/8 for proper depth of field which included the front object all the way to the back of her head. So everything was in focus.

Your example has a little bit of the flowers in focus (is it f/1.4 ?) but everything else totally OOF and the model has a pale color the same as the background and is hard to see.

Last edited:
I found it for every one else to look at. Assuming it's the same one that you saw.
http://www.adorama.com/alc/episode/is-it-a-portrait

I think it's a portrait if the subject can still be considered the subject. Just like people using various things covering up parts of the face, etc. But the key is the subject is still in focus, and still the main subject. If that makes sense.

I found it for every one else to look at. Assuming it's the same one that you saw.
Is It A Portrait? - ALC

I think it's a portrait if the subject can still be considered the subject. Just like people using various things covering up parts of the face, etc. But the key is the subject is still in focus, and still the main subject. If that makes sense.
Yes, that's the video, and I am sure the majority of people would agree with what you said about what's in focus and out of focus.

Most reactions

Back