Is this a scam?

Hey no prob I was posted this morning about the 30d deal. I have been looking to get an XTi, and for the price he had listed for the 30 I was like heck ya let me talk to this guy . LOL amazing how poor the english gets with more e-mails. I hope you report him on whatever forum you found his ad on as well.

PS
Craigs List has removed 3 of the 4 posts so far since this morning. I found a new XTi post from the same guy lol. Glad to see reporting does help.
I actually emailed him asking what happened to the post on Craig's List. He said he took it off because he was getting to many emails about it.
Maybe I am ignorant but what is the scam? He never asks for money.

Well the ads I have seen and his replies to me are that he wants you to use a 3rd party to hold your money while he sends you the camera. The ads all say the cameras ( XTi, 30d, 20d) were bought in March, less than 2 months ago and he is now selling them for a 1/3 lose of what he supposedly paid for them new at circuit city. This is what like 5 grand of cameras he has bought in March and is selling for less than 2 grand??? He has the exact same add for different prices, uses the same wording in the replies but so far at least 3 different names. I don't trust it, but if you like shoot him the cash see what ya get and let us all know :p

Doesn't look on the up and up to me, but what do I know?

Well the ads I have seen and his replies to me are that he wants you to use a 3rd party to hold your money while he sends you the camera. The ads all say the cameras ( XTi, 30d, 20d) were bought in March, less than 2 months ago and he is now selling them for a 1/3 lose of what he supposedly paid for them new at circuit city. This is what like 5 grand of cameras he has bought in March and is selling for less than 2 grand??? He has the exact same add for different prices, uses the same wording in the replies but so far at least 3 different names. I don't trust it, but if you like shoot him the cash see what ya get and let us all know :p

Doesn't look on the up and up to me, but what do I know?
I am definately not entertaining the idea of dealing with this guy. Right now I am having some fun with him over email. I am just curious what the scam is. He told me he us using TNT delivery company to deliver the items. The buyer pays them once it arrives. Is he sending a box of rocks with the delivery company. You pay them the money and you get a $1200 box of rocks?

I've had this too. An amazing prince on a 1D MkII N. He said he was in London and I advised I'd be there on business and could hand him the cash...... THen he said he'd already paid TNT and that it would have to be delivered through them...... I stopped the communication at that point!

I actually emailed him asking what happened to the post on Craig's List. He said he took it off because he was getting to many emails about it.
Maybe I am ignorant but what is the scam? He never asks for money.

it is a scam very similar to the ones that many nigerian fraudsters use.
he doesn't ask for money to start with. What they do is actually quite clever and sneaky making you think it's legitimate.

They get you to send money via a third party but the site is actually a replica of a Western Union (or similar) site.
You receive notification that the goods are with the "site" and ready to be shipped to you so you send your money to the "site" expecting them to send on the goods.
Of course the goods never arrive, and your money disappears because it's all been a set up.
I read about it on a scam baiting site and it's quite a sneaky ploy.
On the face of it, it looks good especially with the 3rd party involved but in reality, there is no 3rd party at all - just the scammer!

I have seen this scam before when I was shopping for a mountain bike frame. I suspect once they have your money there is no way for you to get it back.

STAY AWAY!!

What has this world come to? I re-read the first email I got for good old Robert Ferguson (or is it Sean Cox). I think you all are correct about how the scam works. I thought you would pay COD but I think I interpreted his message wrong. Now I know!! And as my good friend GI Joe always told me, "knowing is half the battle" :)

I've seen this ad in the Boston and New Hampshire craigslist sites.

Most reactions

Back