Is this a terrible shot?

blueofspirit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this photo while I was on vacation couple weeks back - the girlfriend really likes the photo but I think technically speaking the sunset looks washed out, the railing in front (which I couldn't move around :x) is kinda weird, etc..

I do like the silhouette of the boat though. Thoughts much appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have the option of going back and reshooting so any ideas how to salvage this would be appreciated. Thinking of putting on a warmer tone in PS and maybe cropping above the railing?

IMG_0718.jpg

Isn't terrible. But it isn't good. Railing is in the way, sky is blown out. Lacking any real thought (seemingly) a closer zoom on the boat with a polarizer would help.

Increase saturation, contrast, lighten shadows, darken highlights, crop out railing and try to clone in some trees to increase height of photo and sharpen a bit. I don't care for the rings that start to show around the sun if anyone has some suggestions for that.

IMG_0718v2.jpg

Thanks!! I think the cloned trees look a bit funky but I guess it can't be helped. Now I just need to save up for another chance at that shot...

Think the shot looks very yellow compared to some very warm sunset shots I've seen around. Is there a filter involved in that kind of shot or am I just bad at controlling exposure?

Thanks!! I think the cloned trees look a bit funky but I guess it can't be helped. Now I just need to save up for another chance at that shot...

Think the shot looks very yellow compared to some very warm sunset shots I've seen around. Is there a filter involved in that kind of shot or am I just bad at controlling exposure?

I am not sure about filters (being new to photography) but could you not use photo shop (or similar programme) to change the tone from yellow to red?

Oh by the way, I like the shot very much

To me, cloning trees is cheating. The revised image is better, but no longer real.

This would have been better zoomed way in on the boat, without the railing, and vertical. It may not have been an option.

It seems like maybe white balance was on auto, and it "corrected" out the color of the sunset.

If it were mine, I would try to crop it vertically, increase saturation. If that didn't work, throw it out. If you don't consider cloning stuff in as cheating, maybe just re-shoot a sunset over water, and clone the boat in. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back