Is this all I need?

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would this do the trick with developing and printing my own film?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/87279-REG/Beseler_6757_Printmaker_Darkroom_Kit.html

I know it might not be the best stuff all I need to know is if it will get the job done. What else would I need besides a darkroom and an enlarger?

Would this be a good enlarger to buy?
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=5627
because I want to print 120 film and also 35mm

thanks for the help and I am sorry about what may seem like silly question to you experienced guys but I gotta start somewhere.

You'd also need all the chemicals..

First kit is a thumbs up. Forget that enlarger. I don't trust Holga's enlargers any more than I trust their cameras. Look around craigslist, check with local pros, high schools, and universities. They often have enlargers better than that for cheaper or for free these days.

You'll also need print developing supplies, such as dip tanks, trays, or large canisters. As well you should get a print dryer, and you'll want an archival print washer if budget permits (if you intend to print on Fiber at all). And an easel.

Okay thanks. I forgot to add that knew I would need chemicals. And thanks Max Bloom I will look for a different enlarger.Are there any ones that do 35mm and 120? Are there certain ones that if I find I shouldn't pass up? I will search around a bit for print supplies as well.

I'm a big fan of Beseler. Some of the best deals to be had right now are in color enlargers with dichroic heads, because so many color shooters and printers are going digital. They're a little different to learn than a black and white only enlarger, but on the upside you can simply dial in your exposure using the built in color filtering, as opposed to swapping out filters all the time.

Also, if you're not going to be making really big prints, some of the best deals to be had right now in paper processing are rotary. Look for the older Cibachrome or Ilfochrome drums (they're all 8x10 and larger). They should come with a base that you set them on and it spins the drum. Rotary processing is really nice once you get used to it. It's also much more efficient in terms of chemical usage (sort of like how front-loading washing machines are compared to top-loading ones). For some reason people see Ciba/Ilfochrome and think they can't use the drums. Just be sure to clean them well.

ah, Holga Enlarger....

perfecly fine for an accent light on your corner table, but never in a darkroom.

OH MY GOD! I have ALL of that stuff in the kit you just showed! It came with the beseler enlarger I bought of some chick on ebay. She used it a few times five years back, and that was that.

OK, Here's the deal. The "easel" sucks, doesn't hold the paper down at all, I bought a bogen on ebay to replace it.

The funnel is too small and too slow, so I bought a replacement at Wal-mart for .49cents.
The 'stirring rod' is flimsy and useless, throw it out immediately.

I could cheerfully choke the life out of whoever designed that floating thermometer, since it only contacts a small portion of the glass case, it takes FOREVER!!! to come up to temperature, practically useless. (I'm not joking, I've never killed anyone before, but I think the good lord would give me a pass on that one,.....GRRRR!!!)

I now use a baby thermometer from walmart.

the trays are way too shallow, so shallow that it's hard to have enough developer in there to properly submerge the print, AND rock back and forth, as the solution will then gush out of the stupid shallow tray. It's also made of such crappy thin plastic, you cannot possibly pick it up with one hand, as it will flex, pouring the solution on your feet... and the "pouring corner" has that curve on it, so it's hard to pour solutions back into the bottles, even with a funnel, and ....they just suck, so I got a better developer tray from freestyle, for the developer. It's all good, since developer is the only one you have to agitate.

I have a different model tank (she did buy hers five or more years ago), it works quite well, but it took me forever to figure out how to get that reel apart to remove the film because it isnt' in the instructions. (twist hard backwards a half turn and pull the halves apart)

The tongs are worse than useless, since they aren't rubber covered, they are hard plastic, and they are guarenteed to scratch the hell out of your print, not small unnoticable scratches, huge gawdawwfull scratches that convince you that photographic chemicals can't really be that bad for your skin, now I don't even bother wearing gloves anymore.

The film clips are flimsy, they are supposed to be springs but they bend out of shape just by looking at them, and the lead weights in them are tiny and too light, to protect the flimsy tinfoil metal these clips are made out of I guess.

I like the squeegee....it's very handy and doesn't leave black rubber marks, like the ancient one at the university darkroom.

ah, Holga Enlarger....

perfecly fine for an accent light on your corner table, but never in a darkroom.

:lol:

Yah, um, if Holga was a brand of mixed nuts, then fabric covered spring snakes would pop out at you when you opened the lid.

Beseler, is a minimum.

Where are you located? For instance in the Altanta area i can arrange for a wide variety of "stuff" at a very cheap price. People donate equipment to the school all the time and if we can't use it, we sell it and use the money for the darkroom upgrades, etc.

I am sure there are similar opportunities in your area.

As others have mentioned there is a lot of good used equipment on the market these days at a cheap price.

you might look at a beseler 23c as it will allow the use of the film types you mention. check out ebay for an enlarging lens as they are very cheap. Look for a six element lens, i.e. f2.8 for a 50mm lens, schneider, or nikor makes very good lenses.

you might also check on Ilford's website as they had some pdf files that will give you the specific of needed equipment and how to's.

Thank you so much for all the information. I am in NY so not close to Atlanta, but I will look for some deals on all of the things listed above.

thanks again

Most reactions

Back