Is this an opportunity for photographers?

profileinwood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for feedback from professional photographers.

Like any business I can only imagine that photographers are looking for opportunities to increase revenue and profits.

Do you think the following product idea would have merit/possibilities?

I have developed a process to take a photo of a persons profile and shape a piece of wood into a goblet, cup, candle holder, or even a baby rattle. Think about a wood turned spindle on a staircase. With concave and convex cuts it is possible to outline someone's face.

My thinking is that parents in particular may be interested in having their children's face turned into a profileinwood as a gift for their spouse, grandparents etc... Infants and young toddlers can have rattles made that are both functional and keepsakes.

Here you can see an example of what I am talking about... www.profileinwood.com

So here are the questions that only you can provide input on:
Do you feel that you could make a sale?

and

Considering that the final piece would be dropshipped directly to your customer, what commission rate do you feel would be appropriate?

Your feedback is appreciated.

No, I wouldn't offer these, sorry. It is an interesting concept (though I am not personally interested in such a thing) and I am sure that there will be some ppl who will want them, but then they can buy direct from you. And they don't need a professional photo to get the product.

I would suggest that you use a different profile for the middle product - the giant nose on it will turn ppl off from wanting any of the products. A lot of ppl are not happy with their profiles because of noses and such.

Children's profiles are nice because their noses usually are still small and nice.

When photographers shoot profile photos of somebody with a long/large nose (or who is self-conscious of their nose regardless of size), they do a semi-profile where the face is turned towards the camera just enough so the nose does not extend past the line of the farthest cheek (so it doesn't stick out at all from the profile). This doesn't work for your product, of course, but I am mentioning it because many adults do not like their profile. I think your product is best aimed towads parents/grandparents who want profile products of their young children.

Dont think the market for wood cups and candleholders is that great lol. Especialy not at that price. You might do better at offering an outlined picture in just a square peice of wood or mantle. I think it might be neat to have a picture carved in a dark wood with the edges framed in pine or something brighter or vice versa. It would still be a very small market. Also, you might want to put pictures of samples of your work on your website.

Last edited:
I guess you like wood work...

Try making Model ships, Planes, Helicopters, Cars with your wood
I'm sure you could get allot of them sold (And mark it with a signature so if you get famous they will be worth a little more to the consumers who have collected them)

Nice idea. I'm not into what I call "dust gatherers" myself but plenty of people are. Of course, with the economy the way it is right now, who knows how much of a market there is.

I can see you selling those at craft fairs, street festivals, things like that. Depending on what is involved in making these, you could either make them right there and then or just take the photo and the order with later delivery. But later delivery may not help sales at a craft fair.

I can't speak for all photographers but if I had a portrait studio I don't think I would offer such a thing. Yes, it could bring in some extra cash but would require an extra photo and it is $90 the customer may not spend on prints...

Good luck.

Got to say this is an incredible product! I'd by one of a newborn in a heartbeat as a gift. Unfortunatly, I wouldn't offer them in my studio as no one would pay the mark-up I would need. I wish you much good luck as this is truly unique and a beautiful piece of art.

Most reactions

Back