Is this battery a original?

Well, according to the "Q&A" section on that page, B&H says it is the very same battery supplied with new D5300 cameras, so my guess would be yes, it's a Nikon battery.

"The EN-EL14A Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery from Nikon . . ."

B&H is pretty careful about how they word their descriptions.

Very good. A couple more of these will allow me to do a 24h timelapse.

I have a couple of these but also have a couple of the ones that are "just like the Nikon battery" and they all work fine in my D5300 2 battery extender base (also not made by Nikon).
If I put the knockoffs in the base and then plug the base into the camera the batteries are not accepted by the camera BUT if I put the base on first and then plug the batteries one at a time the camera accepts them fine. Weird but the way it is. I have big hands and keep the GPS on so need the 2 battery base for my hands and the extra battery power. Makes the camera look like one of the more expensive ones too!!!!!

My old grip was stolen and now i've updated my camera to the newest firmware, i don't know if those grips will now work with my camera anymore because of the firmware update.

That is actually much better. Now all i need is a wall socket and i never have to worry about batteries again..

Hamlet, in answer to your original question, NO that is not a Nikon battery. Nikon does not make batteries. It is a Nikon OEM battery made by a battery manufacturer who supplies them to Nikon based on Nikon's specifications. That same company probably sells the exact same battery at a cheaper price without the Nikon branding on the case.

Hamlet, in answer to your original question, NO that is not a Nikon battery. Nikon does not make batteries. It is a Nikon OEM battery made by a battery manufacturer who supplies them to Nikon based on Nikon's specifications. That same company probably sells the exact same battery at a cheaper price without the Nikon branding on the case.

I'm not buying it because of the brand, i just need reliable batteries because one faulty one could ruin hours worth of footage.

I already thought that far ahead, which is why i asked if that battery was Nikon made.

Hamlet, this is an excellent source for good batteries. SterlingTEK - Secure Online Shop While I realize you are in Belgium, Sterlingtek batteries can also be aquired through Amazon.

The problem i've got with these non-nikon batteries or even grips is that i don't know if it will work as it is intended to. I have updated my camera to the latest firmware 1.03c.

Don't know why it wouldn't. The firmware shouldn't have anything to do with the battery. Never heard of a firmware issue with off brand grips either. Only issue I remember from earlier grips were things like contacts not lining up quite right.

I shoot Canon and have used several Sterlingtek batteries over the years without issue.

Most reactions

Back