Is this cause for worry?

tess_thereb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good day!

I've recently noticed a scratch on my 50mm lenses. It looks like whatever protective coating is falling off. What should I do?

This is a picture of it:
szfqdc.jpg

Sample Images taken today 19-05-2017:
2rdhtdu.jpg

atql3b.jpg

The sample images taken with the 50mm are basically SOOC with a basic filter and light adjustment. Although I don't see anything wrong in-image, can there be some long/short term effects I can expect? Thanks!

Don't pick at it.

and take your "basic filter" off,
and retake test shots.

..can there be some long/short term effects I can expect?
IMO, while the rear element has a more pronounced effect on the images than the front element, a small scratch/loss of coating on the rear element can have a minor effect on the images, this small flaw will not have such a pronounced effect that you need to be concerned. Clean your lenses in an approved manner, that does not remove any more of the coatings. The lens may not retain its full resale value, but as you can see, it does not affect the image to any noticeable degree.

That tiny scratch does not seem to be causing any noticeable negative impact on the photos, right? Ergo...it is not an issue that is a cuase for concern.

Minor and even some severe scratches have little to no affect on the image quality, I'm not sure about the rear elements though. Its possible it could be more pronounced than the front elements but in your case, I didn't see any need to worry. Just continue shooting! Try shooting at the smallest aperture and see if you can see the scratch.

Go to 10:23 and don't cringe.

I coulden't resist! Sorry.

"Fu*k you lens" that part was hilarious!

...Clean your lenses in an approved manner, that does not remove any more of the coatings. The lens may not retain its full resale value, but as you can see, it does not affect the image to any noticeable degree.
That tiny scratch does not seem to be causing any noticeable negative impact on the photos, right? Ergo...it is not an issue that is a cuase for concern.
Minor and even some severe scratches have little to no affect on the image quality, I'm not sure about the rear elements though. Its possible it could be more pronounced than the front elements but in your case, I didn't see any need to worry. Just continue shooting! Try shooting at the smallest aperture and see if you can see the scratch.

Go to 10:23 and don't cringe.

I coulden't resist! Sorry.

Thanks guys, always get psyched out when I notice any wear and tear on my stuff. Good advice and assurance as always :icon_thumleft:

Most reactions

Back