Is This Chromatic Aberration?

M.elty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$dd0d504034.jpg

$e47849dd3d.jpg

Here's a sample picture of a Queen Anne's Lace that I took in full sunlight with the kit lens of my EOS Rebel T3i. I've noticed that typical red/blue aberration can be seen on the edges of a lot of things in my photos, but this white haze effect is really the most annoying since I can't correct it in Lightroom. I did have a UV filter on my lens, but even when I removed it both the red/blue aberration and the white haze persists. This image was shot in JPEG, but it persists in RAW as well.

What is this? Is there a way to correct the white haze/bloom?

A UV filter is going to reduce the contrast in your photo.
You don't say what lens you used and some lenses also reduce contrast in photos.
reduced contrast gives a photo a hazy look.

Lightroom can remove most chromatic aberration. A white haze isn't chromatic aberration but I don't see the white haze/bloom you are referring to.
The exposure value for the whites is good as far as not being or near to being clipped (blown).

Lightroom's Develop module Basic panel has a group of 3 sliders known as the Presence controls - Clarity, Vibrance, and Saturation.
I add Clarity and Vibrance to pretty much every photo I edit.
Adding Contrast might also help. You can add contrast in the Basic panel or you can use the Tone Curve panel

JPEGs made in the camera are intended as a finished, ready to print photo and have little if any editing headroom.

Last edited:
Here's a sample picture of a Queen Anne's Lace that I took in full sunlight with the kit lens of my EOS Rebel T3i. I've noticed that typical red/blue aberration can be seen on the edges of a lot of things in my photos, but this white haze effect is really the most annoying since I can't correct it in Lightroom. I did have a UV filter on my lens, but even when I removed it both the red/blue aberration and the white haze persists. This image was shot in JPEG, but it persists in RAW as well.

What is this? Is there a way to correct the white haze/bloom?

The red/blue is chromatic aberration. The white haze is probably light on your front element. UV filters don't correct anything when on a digital camera. Try a lens hood. For a few dollars you can get a rubber one. Better lenses usually come with a custom shaped hood.

Sometimes landscape photos have a haze due to humidity. Adjusting contrast, either for the whole image or for distant parts, is beneficial.

In direct sun, white things turn into mini light sources. Shooting one stop darker will help prevent this from happening.

I'm not seeing any ca in this shot.

What lens were you using? I have a zoom lens that when stretched to the fullest, gives similar result. Also, did you try auto lens correction in RAW editor?

I'm not sure how to describe what I see, other than "White haze" that blurs a little.
I will try shooting with different exposures to see if it's still present.

I'm using the kit lens from my Canon EOS Rebel T3i. EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens. It's all brand new, less than 3 weeks old and has had a UV filter on it the entire time, aside from a few test shots. There's no dirt or anything on the lens or filter.

I'll try to replicate it as well, since it's in a lot of my Jpeg shots. I'll shoot in raw for testing and see if I can get rid of it in Lightroom. It's odd because it never happened on my old T3i, same lens, even with auto exposure.

In direct sun, white things turn into mini light sources. Shooting one stop darker will help prevent this from happening.

This - bright strong sunlight on a white surface boosts the chances of over-exposure and for a subject like this can even trick the cameras meter. Typically a 1/3rd to full stop underexposure is what I use when shooting in strong sunlight to help avoid this problem with highlights and other white/highly reflective surfaces.

Try adding a little contrast.
When posting, if you keep EXIF data (don't use Save for Web) it will help us because we can see how your camera was set.

Whilst haze caused by elements like an out of focus, but very close to the lens, element (such a wire at a zoo enclosure) can cause hazing and can be removed or significantly reduced by boosting the contrast, this isn't true of over-exposure haze. Or more to the point if you've already got over-exposure in the shot boosting the contrast will only worsen that effect. You could use layermasks so that only the hazy areas are affected by the contrast boost - but in a shot like the one shown above its such a complicated scene that a mask would take ages to produce and still wouldn't get around the over-exposure problems - plus with many of the hazy areas overlapping overexposed areas you'd have an inconsistent application of the haze reduction.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back