Is this dust?

bnz506

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ive had my camera for a month now I think I manage to get dust in when I first took it out of the box. I first notice this speck late DEC but havent seen that speck till today. Its only visible when I have the aperture around F10.

Is this dust or something more?
I took this today (20 Jan 07)

userthis8ld.jpg

and this one late December:

userthis0ax.jpg

I used a air can to blow in the compartment with the sensor so Ill go out tomorrow morning to find out if its clear. Hopefully its not there anymore.

Air from a can is generally not a good thing for camera's, it is under a lot of pressure and can have contaminants that your camera will not like. The uniformity of the marks could well be sensor dust. A blower (like a rubber bulb one) should generally be your first port of call in this situation. There are a number of threads discussing sensor cleaning, many people suggest it's not for the faint hearted.

you got some dust on there.

Air from a can is generally not a good thing for camera's

Bit too late for that already did it heh. Hopefully it didnt cause any damage.

Ill find out tomorrow morning if it worked or not or made things worst.

The problem with using canned air is that air isn't the only thing in the can. Spray some of the liquid onto the sensor, and you may have bigger problems than with the dust.

There are a number of human or battery powered blowers available.

it is certainly dust ... and it looks not like sticky dust.. hence you can probably blow it away with a blower bulb.

but make sure you do blow in more or less dust free air, else you get more ;)

took this this morning. Everything looks good to me. No dust and no damage.

I bought a bulb blower today so ill use that for future buggers. Thx for the advice.

appletonwisnowyhighway5uu.jpg

good to know :)

on the long run you will need to clean it by other means too though.. at least if you change lenses often outside the studio often ;)

I recomment a speckgrabber, if you are patient

and wet cleaning, if you are brave ;) (make sure to get the right things to do it .. google for copperhill)

Most reactions

Back