is this lens good/reliable/awesome?

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What camera you shooting with? What are you shooting? A macro lens such as this is for themost part only good for 1:1 ratio shooting. Macro photography, you should google it.

What camera you shooting with? What are you shooting? A macro lens such as this is for themost part only good for 1:1 ratio shooting. Macro photography, you should google it.
im shooting with a nikon d3000 and ive been wanting to do macro photography as well, is this lens good for landscapes as well as zoom?

Alright, from what I have heard, no. I am not a macro photographer so I don't know but I wanted to buy a 851.8 for portraits and for macro and that was appearantly the dumbest thing ever. Macro lenses are for macro images that's it.

Maybe you should google it. This lens is not going to get 1:1 macro pictures.

I can't speak for this lens specifically, but like most Sigma glass in this range, I would expect that it will be a decent, inexpensive, consumer-grade lens. It is however, NOT a macro lens, regardless of what the page indicates. The maximum magnification here is 1:2, in otherwords it can only focus closely enough to produce an image 1/2 real size on the sensor, or, to put it another way, if you were to photograph a ruler, 1 inch on the ruler would equate to 1/2" on the sensor. This may or may not be a big deal to you.

Maybe you should google it. This lens is not going to get 1:1 macro pictures.
i cant afford anything too fancy, and thats the cheapest macro lens i can find, id prefer a lens that i can get up close to the subject instead of being farther away and zooming in close

i just basically want to do macro i dont really care for zoom right now

I read this as you saying this lens is only good for 1:1 shooting.

No what I meant was lenses like this one (macro lenses) for the most part are only good for 1:1 macro shots.

Who told you that? Macro lenses work just like any other lens only it has the ability to focus closer. Any zoom lens that says macro on it is only going to get around 1:2 magnification. Its just a gimmick to trick people into buying it. I wouldn't waste my money on this. If you cant afford a real macro lens look into extension tubes.

it cant be a real lens at all, i just called wolf camera for the same exact lens and it cost 600 dollars there, why would this one be only 145?

can any of you show me a real macro lens so i know what to look for?

Most reactions

Back