Is this weird for a photography teacher to say/encourage?

The thing here... we don't know the context in which the teacher was speaking about tilting horizons.
Tilted horizons are correct at any time that they do not make you want to tilt your head when viewing the image. If you want to tilt your head to straighten things out-it's not used right.

The thing here... we don't know the context in which the teacher was speaking about tilting horizons. Tilted horizons are correct at any time that they do not make you want to tilt your head when viewing the image. If you want to tilt your head to straighten things out-it's not used right.
Mostly beach and lanscape photos. The horizons are never straight. And there is no consistency in the style of the tilts. Just looks like someone who didn't take time to fix it in PP. She doesn't make money off of those photos. She does portrait work.

If it's not intentional it's not art. If she thinks her lack of focus on the horizon improves the look of her photos, then that's an intentional choice and part of her art.

This was advice she got when he was getting started.

Or so your friend says... you have no way to verify that, and it is amazing how things like that change with a few years....

This was advice she got when he was getting started.
Or so your friend says... you have no way to verify that, and it is amazing how things like that change with a few years....
What do you mean "how things change in a few years" ? :)

Memories! They change easily... especially when they are used to justify a behavior. Not saying something like that didn't happen.. but maybe it didn't! Something similar may have happened.. that eventually became that story, as your friend told that to people down the years... with slight changes to it each time, until the story IS the memory.

It's another example of why I say you should study under as many people as possible, and weigh your options for yourself. Part of edumacation is acquiring as many points of view as possible, and ultimately forming your own.

Garbage in, garbage out.

It's another example of why I say you should study under as many people as possible, and weigh your options for yourself. Part of edumacation is acquiring as many points of view as possible, and ultimately forming your own. Garbage in, garbage out.
The thing is I never stated my opinion on the subject either way. I really didn't intend this thread to turn be a "are tilted horizons acceptable" or not debate. I was merely curious if this could be considered contrete reasonable advice from a teacher.

It doesn't matter which way you feel about it as it's ultimately your decision to make, and defend.

It doesn't matter which way you feel about it as it's ultimately your decision to make, and defend.
Huh? I just asked if it was something that a professor would say. You're really reaching for a deeper issue that is not there.

The thing is I never stated my opinion on the subject either way. I really didn't intend this thread to turn be a "are tilted horizons acceptable" or not debate. I was merely curious if this could be considered contrete reasonable advice from a teacher.
Don't you have to know one to answer the other? If you have no opinion on the first one, you would've even think to ask the second one.

Don't you have to know one to answer the other? If you have no opinion on the first one, you would've even think to ask the second one.
Re read that. I didn't say I didn't have an opinion. I said I didn't state my opinion.

Most reactions

Back