Is this worth saving?

George Wyeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not a photographer, but I "inherited" several pre-digital (film) cameras that my son used as a teen and no longer wants. There's a Nikon N80, a Pentax K1000, and another Nikon with no obvious model number. I also have several removable lenses. Would these have any value to anyone? I hate to just toss them because they look like at one time they were quality equipment. If they have value what's the best way to find a good home? If they have no market value I'm happy to give them away for the cost of shipping. (I contacted Adorama about two of them, but have not heard back and assume they are not interested, so not inclined to contact other buyers of used equipment.)

As an alternative, if I want to get started with a better camera, would these be of any use? I assume not as they are not digital.

Old film cameras are not $$ valuable, but there are many who still shoot film.
If you put them up in the Buy and Sell with the intention of giving them away to a good home, there will probably be some takers.
Post with pictures of the stuff.

I'm not a photographer, but I "inherited" several pre-digital (film) cameras that my son used as a teen and no longer wants. There's a Nikon N80, a Pentax K1000, and another Nikon with no obvious model number. I also have several removable lenses. Would these have any value to anyone? I hate to just toss them because they look like at one time they were quality equipment. If they have value what's the best way to find a good home? If they have no market value I'm happy to give them away for the cost of shipping. (I contacted Adorama about two of them, but have not heard back and assume they are not interested, so not inclined to contact other buyers of used equipment.)

As an alternative, if I want to get started with a better camera, would these be of any use? I assume not as they are not digital.
I think Adorama was closed for the Jewish holidays. They should get back to you.

The Pentax is a classic film body.
The Nikon (or Nikkor) lenses are likely to be usable on a Nikon DSLR, though there may be some limitations.

I would seriously consider keeping the Pentax in case you decide to "play with" film at a later date.

Thanks -- this is tremendous advice. I"ll give Adorama a couple more days, and if no luck there I'll post in the Buy and Sell Forum, holding back the Pentax for possible future use. I will feel much better if these end up with someone who can make good use of them.

As to the lenses, I wouldn't give anything away until you price it out and/or decide that you won't use it. mpb.com will send you a price via email for most items. Also check on ebay to see if the item is for sale/recently sold on there. Alternatively, if there is a camera store in your area, take them in for an appraisal.

Thanks -- I was wondering if the lenses might still be usable, but the problem is I don't even know enough to describe the lens to a potential buyer or website. Based on your advice I may just hold on to them in case I buy a good new camera that they would be compatible with. Our good local camera store closed, unfortunately -- I assume that's a widespread problem.

post a photo of the front and back of the lens and any writing that is on it. I'm sure someone here can identify it for you.

I think Adorama reopens next Wednesday (Oct. 3) although some online functions on their website may be available over the Jewish holiday. (Next week I need to order a battery, media card, and am trying to not look at their Used dept. listings or I might find something else I 'need'!)

You could also try KEH Used Photography Equipment - Buy & Sell. I've bought from both of those camera stores (plenty of times...). And yes, it seems like a lot of camera stores have closed in recent years.

I believe mpb is actually out of the UK with a US office; I don't think it's a registered US business. I'm not sure how that affects purchases, warranty, etc.

I think your cameras and lenses would be of interest to film photographers (by now you know whatever you do - don't toss them! lol). You may need to do some pricing and find out what you could get for them if you decide to sell/trade in.

I know someone who uses vintage lenses on a Nikon digital (with manual settings), and my digital camera takes the same lenses as film rangefinder cameras I have, so it's possible you could do that with your lenses.

Last edited:
Take a cell phone pic of the lenses and post them. Nikon still uses the same mounting system and the Pentax lenses are adaptable to most cameras and can be somewhat collectible. They won't be worth a lot but may have some resale value. Old 35mm film bodies really don't have any resale value these days, but I'm sure you can find someone who will pay to have them shipped.

Old cameras have little practical value, but the offer a fun factor unique to them.

Like muzzle loading guns, wood and canvas canoes, old model trains and antique glass, the appeal is hard to explain.

Personally, I enjoy using the hand crafted products of long gone craftsmen. It also allows me to use cameras that were far too expensive when they were popular.

It would be nice if you could find them a good home.

Pentax K1000's (with 50mm lens) are worth $125 all day long. Hang on to that one or it will sell very easily.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back