Is upgrading my camera worth it?

helpmhost

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place. I've been doing lots of reading, but can't find anything specific to my type of photos.

I currently just use a point and shoot. It is the Panasonic DMC-ZS50. I also used to use the Canon PowerShot SX710HD but it broke.

The huge majority of my pictures are mountains. I hike all the time and take many pictures of distant mountains and scenic landscapes including sunsets. I also take a decent amount of lake and waterfall pictures. Lastly, I love taking pictures of wildlife when I see them. That is it. I never do portraits, sports, cities or anything like that.

I mostly just use the auto mode, but I know a bit about the other settings like aperture, shutter speed, iso etc... I am interested enough and willing to spend the time to learn these better.

I like my current pictures, but wouldn't mind getting better quality pictures. So I'm thinking about upgrading. I like the idea of mirrorless simply to keep size and weight down.

I spoke to someone at a camera store and he recommends I get the Sony A6000. I read online that it is not the best landscape camera.

I am very tech savvy and like cameras that give me the options to configure a lot. Too much automation or forced choices drive me crazy.

My questions are:
1. Will I really notice that my pictures are quite a bit better by upgrading to a change-able lens mirrorless?

2. Is that Sony A6000 a good choice?

Thanks.

The only advice I would offer is to give lots of thought to the platform you ultimately adopt. And give special attention to the lenses since you will be "married" to them. I've gone through lots of camera bodies but my lens collection has not changed nearly as much.

First and foremost is think long and hard about what you really want to do with the camera.
Getting any camera platform regardless of format size, megapixel count or manufacturer, is what YOU want to do.
You have to fit the camera (meaning you need to go to a camera store, pick up and play with) and then decide which system or brand you want.

You could buy an entry level canon rebel T6i from KEH or ebay for $200 or go all out and buy a Hasselblad Med. Format for $25,000.

its really up to you.

But when it comes to specific genres (landscape, portrait, etc) the real mustard is in the lens. The camera is a box, the lenses are where the work is done.

Your current Panasonic has a 24 - 720 mm (35mm equiv) focal length ... you go the wide angle and the long end in one.
I think the lens part should be your first search ... do you want one lens to do all, two lenses to cover both ends?
For mirrorless camera systems you will find that most of the lenses are much bigger than the small camera.

At first, I might just go with the lens that comes with the camera. I'm still not sure how worthwhile it is to upgrade to a mirrorless with changeable lenses compared to a point and shoot. It seems clear that they are much better cameras, but for a beginner taking primarily landscape photos, and I don't ever print my photos, will the upgrade really be worth it?

Good luck whatever camera upgrade you choose..........

In your original post you stated "like my current pictures, but wouldn't mind getting better quality pictures." ... what do you mean by better quality ?

Honestly, I don't know. Nicer photos? More accurate to what I saw in person. That's probably the best way to put it. I really just want my pictures to be as close to seeing the real thing in person.

With my point and shoot, I have noticed that really far off mountains are not super smooth, particularly when zoomed in.

Also, the colour is always a little on the dull side. I realize this is mostly likely my problem and not the gear's problem.

Honestly, I don't know. Nicer photos? More accurate to what I saw in person. That's probably the best way to put it. I really just want my pictures to be as close to seeing the real thing in person.

With my point and shoot, I have noticed that really far off mountains are not super smooth, particularly when zoomed in.

Also, the colour is always a little on the dull side. I realize this is mostly likely my problem and not the gear's problem.
I will tread carefully here, but if that's your goal, the next thing to do is learn about Med. and Large Format.

I maybe able to address one of your comments.
You say about things being sharp when you zoom in
I use a canon 600d crop sensor camera and I like to do big photos the std output size is about a3 for me this is way too small. To overcome the limitations I take 20 to 30 shots giving me about 80% overlap. In this I can expand the photo to 60 inches or more and still have a lot of detail. I have one sea scape with hills in the distance, on the hill are cows. When I expand up to 200% the cows are logo cows made up of five or six pixels.
The other thought is what size prints are you looking at and at what distance will the be viewed.

Just for fun have a go take a single shot of a scene then take a number of shots say 6 in landscape orientation the do the same in portrait orientation. Join the images and look at the results. I am no good st math but the more shots for a given view the less you have to expand. However as I have found out, the hard way, there is a point of diminishing returns. Please let me know how you get on, if I can be of more help, I am here, way too much, most days

[/QUOTE]
I will tread carefully here, but if that's your goal, the next thing to do is learn about Med. and Large Format.[/QUOTE]

I realize that I won't achieve photos completely looking like real life. I just want to get closer to that. My core question is still is it really worth upgrading to a low-end mirrorless with the default lens compared to a point and shoot.

I will tread carefully here, but if that's your goal, the next thing to do is learn about Med. and Large Format.

I realize that I won't achieve photos completely looking like real life. I just want to get closer to that. My core question is still is it really worth upgrading to a low-end mirrorless with the default lens compared to a point and shoot.
Absolutely!
But I also point out that changing the physical size of the sensor will do you a great deal of good.
Going from an APS sized sensor to a Full Frame will impact image quality.

You dont have to spend huge sums, but again study Med. Format.
There is a substantial difference.

Re med /larege format have a google search.. do I really need medium format. I have been looking at med format, it’s not just the camera&lens you have to consider the storage and is your computer up to dealing with the larger files

Re med /larege format have a google search.. do I really need medium format. I have been looking at med format, it’s not just the camera&lens you have to consider the storage and is your computer up to dealing with the larger files
this is quite true if you go Med. Format Digital.
If you shoot the film size it'll be the scanners and other considerations.

But physical size is the key here.

One more note on this.

Med. Format FILM is fairly inexpensive. Shooting a Bronica, or old Walsflex TLR in 120 is fairly cheap except for film processing.

The various MF cameras are plentiful and easy to obtain.
But if you dig for Med. Format Digital, your stepping into a fairly expensive level.
Consider a Pentax 645 AFD, or older Hassy H1 or H2 with a back will set you back a min. of $3K for the setup.

Going newer is house mortgage territory and only advisable for pros.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back