ISO Settings above 3200??

JayClark79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a canon t1i... now when i manually change the ISO settings i get options ranging from 100 all the way up to 3200.... if you go to canon site it says "Wide range ISO setting 100-3200 (ISO expansion: 6400, 12800)"... how do i get to this ISO expansion to shoot in the 6400 setting?

You don't. If your in Tv Av P or M you hold the iso button and turn the wheel until you get to the Hi1 and Hi2 mode and that will be 12800. Beware the results will most likely be unusable and extremely noisy and grainy.
TJ

If it's like my 40d, then you have to enable ISO expansion under the custom functions menu first.

What page of the T1i users manual is that on, again? :lol:

I think it's on the same page as don't be a jerk.

I don't think that is being a jerk at all. Reading the manual something everyone should do. I really hope you read yours. If anyone asked a question that could be found by taking a quick look at the manual and someone refers it to them they are being a jerk that's funny. So lets say someone asks a question and there is a sticky about their question and I post the link to the stick am I being a jerk?

Suggesting they read the users manual is not a jerky thing to do.

Now, if KmH had said something to the effect of "only an idiot would ask before reading the manual" that might be construed as being a jerk. This, I don't think so.

What page of the T1i users manual is that on, again? :lol:

I don't think that is being a jerk at all. Reading the manual something everyone should do. I really hope you read yours. If anyone asked a question that could be found by taking a quick look at the manual and someone refers it to them they are being a jerk that's funny. So lets say someone asks a question and there is a sticky about their question and I post the link to the stick am I being a jerk?

no, because posting a link would actually be helpful.

I am all for poking fun, but we're here to help each other, not just ridicule.

and no, I didn't read my whole instruction manual. I've had questions about how to do things on my camera, and I've looked up the answers, but I'm not ready to sit down and read the whole thing.

I'm just not down with internet tough guys who troll forums trying to make fun of new guys. If you're going to say something like that, you should still help the person out. Making fun and not helping is jerky. That's all I'm sayin.

So I guess this would sound kinda dumb, but in what types of cases do the more experienced among us here use the expanded ISO?

and no, I didn't read my whole instruction manual. I've had questions about how to do things on my camera, and I've looked up the answers, but I'm not ready to sit down and read the whole thing.

I'm just not down with internet tough guys who troll forums trying to make fun of new guys. If you're going to say something like that, you should still help the person out. Making fun and not helping is jerky. That's all I'm sayin.

How was he making fun? RTFM. Far too many noobs are too damn lazy to do it these days and just want to be given the answers without doing the work on their own. Same thing as the ultra-vague "which camera should I get?" questions.

I'm all for helping someone, but at the same time noobs need to find things on their own instead of asking to be spoonfed every little simple bit of info. In this case, finding the expanded ISO range is a question EASILY found in the manual.

So I guess this would sound kinda dumb, but in what types of cases do the more experienced among us here use the expanded ISO?

not that i'm in this category, but many pros crank the iso up for weddings when a 1.4 prime/2.8 zoom isn't fast enough, dim sports lighting when no flashes are available, various things along those lines etc.

when absolutely nothing else will do, and I'm not planning on doing anything special with the pictures. I rarely shoot above even 800.

How was he making fun? RTFM. Far too many noobs are too damn lazy to do it these days and just want to be given the answers without doing the work on their own. Same thing as the ultra-vague "which camera should I get?" questions.

I'm all for helping someone, but at the same time noobs need to find things on their own instead of asking to be spoonfed every little simple bit of info. In this case, finding the expanded ISO range is a question EASILY found in the manual.
Agreed, so why post anything at all?

not that i'm in this category, but many pros crank the iso up for weddings when a 1.4 prime/2.8 zoom isn't fast enough, dim sports lighting when no flashes are available, various things along those lines etc.
I think high ISO works ok for portraits/wedding stuff, because you don't want super fine detail on the skin anyway. I'd still rather shoot lower ISO if at all possible, and I don't know how it is on other cameras, but at ISO 6400 and 128000 on my 50d, there is almost more noise than actual picture.

Most reactions

Back