ISO settings...

MommyOf4Boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
If you are wondering why all of the questions all of a sudden...My family and I are going on a 17 day vacation..starting in Florida at the beaches for 2 days, Disney for 7 days, then up to Atlanta for a few days, Biloxi, MS for a day, then Texas for 4 days. I plan on doing a lot of photographing during this time and there are going to be circumstances that I have never encountered before. The question I have for the ISO setting is due to the Safari tour at the Animal Kingdom.
I always shoot at ISO 200, but I am wondering if I should boost that up to 400 or 800 because we will be in a moving vehicle and I am sure that some of the animals will be moving around as well. Will this help or should I just stay at ISO 200 and home my telephoto lens is fast enough?

ISO settings are really only needed based on the amount of light that is given to you in a certain situation. For example if you're shooting in a well lit condition like outdoors on a sunny day, ISO 200 would be ideal, but if you're shooting in a very low light condition where you can't use a flash, like a church, then you'll need a higher ISO. You can also use a higher ISO to lighten up your pictures if you're using a fast shutter. Just remember though, anything over ISO 400 you have a slight chance on getting some noise depending on the camera. As far as shooting animals from a vehicle, you'll need a fast shutter.

That is good advice from Sean.

Just watch your shutter speed, if the light won't let you get a usable shutter speed...then open the aperture...if you still can't get a good speed...then bump up the ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back