Issue with my new Hasselblad

but as soon as I release the mechanism, it releases and everything returns to as it was (mirror up etc.)

According to the manual the mirror is retracted in S-Mode which makes shooting faster.

From the manual: "this is accomplished through the normal release sequence being carried out in advance when the selector is turned to 'S': the mirror is lifted"

Hasselblad bodies of this error should work just fine with no lens on them. What exactly are you turning when you refer to "cocking mechanism" the EL is electronically controlled and there is nothing to manually turn to advance the camera. The small nub on the inner rim of the lens mount is not intended to be manually spun, that cocks the lens (similar to older Nikon AF operation).

The tool is intended for the LENS to re-cock the lens based shutter if it is released off the body. Installing a discharged lens on a body can damage the body since the key on the body is vertical when when released and wont slot into the hole on the lens properly.

It sounds like everything is working just fine but you are trying to manually force the camera through its shutter cycle which it should be driven by the internal motor.

Also of note, the rear mechanism is the "light curtain" not a shutter. The only reason to differentiate is that the early Hasselblads (pre 500 series) did actually have the shutters there in the way of a think moving copper screen. These were very vibration prone and what lead to the in lens shutter in the first place.

Arrgggh

Tool has arrived today. Small end turns from the rear OK (but of course it gets stuck when the flaps begin to close) but from the front neither ends fit at all.

I'm going out of my mind here. Any help gratefully received!? View attachment 193077 View attachment 193078
If memory recalls you initiated a mirror up scenario and the camera is waiting to actually be fired. This "S" mode will open the film blinds in the back of the camera body and the mirror flips up out of the way. Additionally the silver lens cocking key outlined in red (I have turned it to the correct position in this edit)rotates to a mid position whereby if a lens was attached, it would close the lens shutter, stop the lens down and it is just waiting for the shutter button on the camera to be pressed to fire the shutter in the lens. Until this is reset to the horizontal position as in the attached image, you will not be able to mount a lens.

Have you tried pressing the shutter release on the camera? Technically it should trip and reset to mirror down and the film blinds closed but the side body dial must be reset to the "O" potion, if it stays at "S" it will be reset to a pre-tripping mode.

The tool you have serves two purposes.
1. It can recock a lens if the lenses shutter accidentally gets fired when not mounted on a body. Wind the Blue Arrow lens cocking mechanism in the direction indicated. The Yellow Arrow is actually the shutter tripping mechanism. Until the lens shutter is reset to the horizontal position, you will not be able to mount a lens on a body.
2. With the camera in a tripped scenario, mirror up, film blinds open, you look through the back of the camera and use the tool to rotate the slotted key to recock the camera. Notice the slotted key on the front of the camera is returning to the horizontal position as you rotate the tool.
_20200615_144631-edit.jpg
tool.jpg
body_cocking_key.jpg

I will Never buy Hassel Box!!!!

Everyone has their preferences.

I was deep into the system for a couple of decades and they made me tens of thousands of dollars with zero issues. They were at the time the medium format camera for professional work, small enough to hand hold with confidence and robust enough to take the riggers of commercial workloads. In the advertising industry three brands were ubiquitous to the working pro, Nikon, Hasselblad and Sinar all for very good reasons. Even today, those brands are at the top of the working pros list of quality gear.

SNIP>>

to the working pro, Nikon, Hasselblad and Sinar all for very good reasons. Even today, those brands are at the top of the working pros list of quality gear.

Canon has made major inroads since 1992.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back