Issues with Stock Photography....Need your advice and experience

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Hockeystarz, Sep 23, 2011.

1. dakkon76

dakkon76 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    To be honest, I think a lot of people new to photography think that they can enter into stock photography so that they don't have to commit to shooting an event. They think they can just go out and snap random pictures and make some money - one picture at a time. Once you start shooting quite a bit, and end up liking the things you shoot, then you'll become more comfortable with the idea of meeting a mom in the park with her kids, or doing some other outdoor portraits for people. If you like photography, then work on your photography skills and market yourself. If you like the idea of making a lot of residual income, then I'd strongly suggest you find a different market that isn't already overly saturated.

2. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think you understand how the stock photography business works, business wise.

3. Hockeystarz

Hockeystarz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From my research and speaking to people who do stock photography i have heard that you take pictures and send them to them. They then look at your submissions accept or reject them and then continue the process until you are deemed good enough for stock photography. They then monitor your photos and if they don't sell or get looked at they're pulled off the site. Am I correct or is it much different then this?

4. orljustin

orljustin No longer a newbie, moving up!

Try googling "stock photography crowdsourcing". I'm sure you'll find some articles about the rise of microstock.As the other poster said, you really don't seem to have a grasp on how this works.

5. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    I take all that to mean you haven't even looked at the information the stock photography companies have on their web sites for anyone interested in submitting photos.

6. Hockeystarz

Hockeystarz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I read some articles. You are right the micro-stock photography industry is crowd-sourcing, but different then i thought. Getty images just taps into Flickr, which is an amazingly smart move. I still think there is a niche play in the industry. I have to think about the model some more and get back to you guys. Thanks for all of your help this is a great community.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    Getty does a hell of a lot more than just tap into Flickr, which is a fairly recent strategy approach on Getty's part.

I would reiterate investigating the differences between RF and RM use licensing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  8. imagemaker46

imagemaker46 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seriously? Getty just taps into into Flickr. I should ask all the pros that I know that are being hired by Getty and have been shooting for Getty for years that all they do is tap into an amateur photo posting site. What Getty does is flood the market with both great images and real garbage. A typical NHL hockey game, Getty wants at least 10 images on the wire between the 1st and 2nd period, another 10 after the 2nd period and another 25-30 after the game, do you really think that hockey produces that many great images from every game? By the time the game is over and you're looking for the last 10-15, you're uploading the goalies in warmups. Getty is all about the quantity, they bought out or simply underpriced alot of really great agencies worldwide out of business, they hired average photographers that owned enough gear to do an average job and paid them peanuts, most of these guys were happy to take a $100 to shoot a pro hockey game, if they didn't do it, there were always 10 other guys standing there willing to do it.

I wish you the best in your stock agency ideas, but at least understand how the ones at the top of the food chain work.

9. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stock is dead, get over it.

And move on to some other aspect of photography.

Or should I say it is dead for the photographers? The so-called-agencies of today are still making money, I guess, but I can't imagine any serious photog looking at stock seriously. I used to do quite a bit of stock and it was a big chunk of income but that's history. And I'm not going to shoot for 25 cents a picture.

10. Hockeystarz

Hockeystarz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exactly that is what we are trying to change. There are ways to get this done with out the back agencies in the way.

Imagemaker 46 thanks for giving me some better insight into how getty operates. I don't believe starting a stock agency is the answer. There's a different business model that can work. I'm on to something, but ill run it by you guys when I get it going a little better. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what my partners and I are coming up with. Thanks for your feedback.

11. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    Stock is bigger than ever, but the rules of the game have changed, and it's no longer a way for a photographer to earn a living.

12. orljustin

orljustin No longer a newbie, moving up!