It can not be that complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perry - send me an email. I can help you out. I do this sort of editing.
Don't worry I don't sell anything besides my photography :)

I agree, it has a lot to do with Photoshop, but good lighting and makeup have a lot to do with it. However, my makeup artist can only do so much and as great as I am with lighting, that look just doesn't come out of the camera that way.
I sent you an e-mail and look so foward to hearing back from you.

The affect is a combination of the way that he lights and retouches his images.
It's the whole process. Even How he sees and creates....ie.His creative palette.
You would be able to in general create his look with photoshop and basic lighting,
such as soft boxes reflectors with grids diffusion all that stuff.
You would however need to be able to use the gear in the same way that he does.
As far as what he does with photoshop I think it's pretty basic stuff as well But he's obviously developed his own way of using those tools and Filters.
Definitely Photoshop and if not, that look is definitely achievable in Photoshop.
When I say basic I don't mean at all to simplify what he's doing to achieve his look.
Just in regards to the tools he uses.
If you include some of your attempts at his work with your post it could help others to help you to identify what your not doing.
But I think your probably over thinking the retouching and underthinking the lighting.
but that's just my take.....Hard to say with out seeing your attempts.
In photoshop I just added a backround layer smart blured it lowered the opacity a little on that layer
and erased back the details that I wanted to look more real and sharp. try that.
It's kind of bludgeoning the process but it show's you that put a little more time into it
and you'll get it..I used images that were lit similarly to his for the test.
Good Luck!
Photoworkshop

Dude, I didn't read through this whole thread, but I don't think there's any magic formula to get that effect. It's just careful editing in PS using lots of layers and masks. And start with a good photo/lighting.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's just a well-lit photo, some selective surface blurring here, some sharpening there, and Voila!

I know this is an old thread, but has any one found out any of the PS work that goes into the creation of Alvarado's work.

I know a lot of the base is lighting, makeup and hair, but after a great deal of experimentation with lighting and PS I can honestly say that what pushes his photos over the edge is some specific photoshop work.

I DIDN'T read through the whole thread. My knowledge of the situation is really only based on the most recent image posted of his work showing the roackabilly style girl. But, looking at that before and after. I can guess at some of the techniques.

If I wanted to achieve the same look, here's what I would do.

1) Obviously, he removed a few imperfections. The lines around her mouth for one. This would all be pretty basic so I won't say more.

2) Adjust the light levels. I'm sure he's gone in and adjust the lights. I suspect through Image>Adjustments>Levels, adjusting until he's happy.

3) This is the step I am not as sure about. But, I suspect for the cherries and her flower, what he might have done is, on another layer, painted just pure black over just those areas. Then, set that layer to "overlay" and adjusted that layer's opacity until he reached his desired levels. My guess is based on the fact that there is a nice contrast in the details.

4) Now, there may be another method he used to get that blur affect. But, it looks hauntingly familar to me to one I've used for improving skin softness. First, duplicate the layer. What you would do is go into Filters>Noise>Median. It takes some practice to get the amount just right. Then, lower the opacity until it looks right. When you have that set, go to layer>layermasks>reveal all. Then, using a very soft brush, bring back the facial features and clothing so you don't lose the detail there.

Just my thoughts, anyway. Hopefully these will help anyone else.

It took me not even five minutes to figure out what he uses the first time I decided to look it up. I didn't read every reply, but I'm surprised someone didn't figure it out faster. Here you go.

http://www.imagenomic.com/pt.aspx?gclid=CMu7oPvg9ZkCFcmS3wodN2zcRA

Portraiture is a Photoshop, Lightroom and Aperture
image-3184379-10563292
plugin that eliminates the tedious manual labor of selective masking and pixel-by- pixel treatments to help you achieve excellence in portrait retouching. It intelligently smoothens and removes imperfections while preserving skin texture and other important portrait details such as hair, eyebrows, eyelashes etc.

Portraiture features a powerful masking tool that enables selective smoothening only in the skin tone areas of the image. What makes Portraiture’s masking tool truly unique is its built-in Auto-Mask feature. It helps you quickly discover most of the skin tone range of the image automatically and, if preferred, you can manually fine-tune it to ensure optimal results, providing unmatched precision and productivity.

For finer control, you can specify the smoothening degree for different detail sizes and adjust the sharpness, softness, warmth, brightness and contrast.

Portraiture comes with pre-defined presets for one-click effects and, as with all Imagenomic plug-ins, you can capture your own signature workflow in a custom preset tailored to your specific requirements and photographic portfolio.

I believe that he is using portraiture.... Don't quote me... but it really looks like it....

This shot is done more with lighting and makeup than post processing. I'm sure he enhanced he eyes and smoothed the skin a bit in post but I bet the unprocessed image looks pretty close to this one. Photoshop, although fantastic is no match for solid lighting, good skin, and great make up.

Photoshop seems to be to photographers what Pro Tools is to musicians.

An ever widening safety net that is taking the place of true photographic skills.

Learn your stuff!

This shot is done more with lighting and makeup than post processing. I'm sure he enhanced he eyes and smoothed the skin a bit in post but I bet the unprocessed image looks pretty close to this one. Photoshop, although fantastic is no match for solid lighting, good skin, and great make up.

Photoshop seems to be to photographers what Pro Tools is to musicians.

An ever widening safety net that is taking the place of true photographic skills.

Learn your stuff!
Oh brother.

First, a one-post noob reanimates a dead thread, then another noob rolls in the ever-popular Photoshop vs. Real Photography Skills false dichotomy grenade.

What can I possibly contribute in the wake of that?

Hmmm...

I like ice cream!

Yeah, that oughtta do it. :thumbup::D

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Its basic high key lighting..pushed a bit in this case and then try using PhaseOne Pro on the raw images. If that dosen't make you happy think why look for levels and curves in your Image adjustments thats a start but I have a feeling there is a picture to painting program hes using first.

I do not like Robert's style, and I'm pretty sure he's using Topaz Adjust, a Photo Shop pluggin:

Topaz Adjust - The Easiest Way to Make Your Photos Pop

If you guys are intersted in this kind of photo effects, look up I mean google HDR (High Dynamic Range Photo)

BTW, I'm not a big fan of spending too much time on photo shop post production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back