It is on its way, the D5

OnTheFly7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Just received notice that Nikon has a D5 coming out. Not sure if I am late to the party, but I thought I would post it. No doubt, the market for this market will be specific and small. However, it is a body that I hope to own.

Just received notice that Nikon has a D5 coming out. Not sure if I am late to the party, but I thought I would post it. No doubt, the market for this market will be specific and small. However, it is a body that I hope to own.
Your not late to the party, it was cancelled. All the attendees on the list went to the D500 party. Much more excitement there :)

Your not late to the party, it was cancelled. All the attendees on the list went to the D500 party. Much more excitement there :)
Haaa, Haaaa
So true :)

OnTheFly7 said:

The D5 looks to me like it'll be a pretty solid camera. The flagship-level Nikon d-slrs have all been built like tanks, and have always had state of the art features and functionality among the Nikon line at the time they were introduced. To me, a solid body with a top-notch set of subsystems and components and a 28 million pixel FX sensor sounds like a great machine for a whole slew of things. Once it becomes obsolescent, the prices will be super-affordable, just the way D1,D2,and D3,and soon, D4 cameras have/will drop in price on the used market.

OnTheFly7 said:

The D5 looks to me like it'll be a pretty solid camera. The flagship-level Nikon d-slrs have all been built like tanks, and have always had state of the art features and functionality among the Nikon line at the time they were introduced. To me, a solid body with a top-notch set of subsystems and components and a 28 million pixel FX sensor sounds like a great machine for a whole slew of things. Once it becomes obsolescent, the prices will be super-affordable, just the way D1,D2,and D3,and soon, D4 cameras have/will drop in price on the used market.
We'll be obsolete soon too, I still can hold my own with computers and cell phones but I am sure soon enough my son will look at his old man with a sorry look trying to explain to me how the new stuff works, I am still hanging on but god knows for how long :dob:

Currently, I have no need for this camera, but as thing progress (and depending on what occurs with one prospect), I may need the features of this body (most notably the ISO and FPS). Then, the question becomes, a discounted but new D4S or the D5.

I hope the D4 and D4S now drop significantly in price, in the second-hand market :)

Meh................Won't make me a better photographer. Just a poorer one.
There is something to be said for pro equipment making you lazy and neglectful of the basics of photography, but that goes more to the character of the person than really the equipment.

Meh.........where's the F7?????
Actually a fully compatible film body is indeed necessary, yes.

1. The F6 is no longer fully compatible, because it doesnt support the electronic aperture of some new lenses, like the AF-S 200-500mm f5.6 VR. Not too awful in case of the later lens because everyone will use that wide open all the time, anyway. Still, it would be really nice to have.

2. The F6 uses kind of old technology in general now. The new AF system of the D5/D500 for example would be really neat.

I would be very, very surprised if Nikon really will publish a new film camera, though. If they do, I expect it to be rather more expensive than the F6 simply because they wont make many.

So would I but that wouldn't stop me from buying one if it was a modern equal to my F5. The F6 appears to be a wonderful camera however not up to F5 standards of durability. There's a couple threads over on APUG concerning the need for repair and parts/labor not being available other than in the USA. I have been on the fence about buying one (F6) but that's soured me. Fortunately the F5 is going strong and exhibits no problems current or future.

I'm not real happy with digital right now. My D90 crapped out at just short of 6K clicks. It's repairable but do I spend the $$ or move on? I do like it but the merry go round of digital obsolescence is not a comfortable ride. My 43 year old Nikon F takes wonderful photos and seems like it'll last forever. It's oe of the reasons I never stopped using film.

Sorry didn't mean to rant but....................I'm tired of being force fed expensive short lived product. Not just photography related either.

We live in a disposable world right now. It's sad.

Most reactions

Back