It was tough

Holly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I dont have any pictures edited yet... Shooting as a second photographer was tough.. I had a hard time trying to take pictures around the main photographer... No one was looking at me etc... IT was not a great experience to say the least... I like to have control when doing photographs.. Being second in line wasnt easy lol... Once I just starting shooting after the main photos were done it went ok... I wish my first few came out great, but better luck next time...

Those of you who have shot as a second shooter how was your experience?

I've acted as 2nd photographer (on the B&G's request, not in accordance with the Pro)...and yes, it can be tough to shoot around the Pro. That's one reason why I try never to do that. If the Pro is shooting, I try to be somewhere else, getting something that they are not. It may be a different angle or it may be candids of other people. I don't feel the need to get the exact same shots as the pro.

The exception being if I want certain shots for my portfolio...but even then, I'd prefer them to be something that I have set up...and not someone else.

Big Mike said:
I don't feel the need to get the exact same shots as the pro.

Once again, Mike... reading my mind.

And yeah, Holly... I can't imagine not being in control of my own images. And when you throw the limited time a couple is available into the mix, they're less likely to take more time away from the reception.

I'm looking forward to see what you did get!

Have fun.

Pete

But I bet your photos are better than the Pro's. So it may of been tough but I bet it was worth it

I wasnt out to get the exact shots.. but my brother doesnt like to sit still.. When I did candids those were the easiest.. But as far as the group pictures I had to take them when the pro took them because that was the only time I was able to get in there and get them...

I will post soon for input... I cant say Im to pleased with them, but the candids I am ok with .. .Thanks every one!

When I did pictures at my bro's wedding this summer I didn't even try to be anywhere near the hired photog. I just did my own thing elsewhere and tried not to get in the way. It wasn't bad and I got to take pictures of things that he wasn't getting. But, it was hard to get any group stuff taken with the limited time. But, I'm happy with what I got.
Another cool thing was that their photog. was all about getting the posed shots in front of the altar and I think that stuff is so boring and it meant that I got to do a few more creative styled shots when he wasn't using certain people.

Holly said:
[...] But as far as the group pictures I had to take them when the pro took them because that was the only time I was able to get in there and get them... [...]

I recently read that statistics determine that you need to make an average of 300 exposures of a group of 20 people to be mathematically certain there will be at least ONE photo where EVERYbody will have their eyes open . . .
That is the benefit of a second photog for group shots: it significantly increases the chance of capturing exactly that ONE good moment.

Most reactions

Back