It wasn't my fault I swear.

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was at the Camera store to look over the new Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary Model, but they only had one canon mount in stock that happen to be the sport model. I had my whole Tamrac Back pack with me that I put up on the glass counter top.The sales guy said be right back as he walked several feet away to the the other end of the counter.
So assuming he was getting the new lens for me to check out while I was looking at some other toys, he most have put the new lens on the counter top already that happen to be behind my pack that was was not visible. I went to unzip my backpack to remove my camera and I think the strap on my backpack hit the lens and sent it off the glass counter top crashing to the floor.

I can tell you that a sigma 150-600 makes a god awfully noise when it hits the floor and plenty loud enough to.It drew attention to other employees as well as other customers. I think the first words I can recall from the sales guy was something to the affect like Oh no S**T as I apologized about the same time.He said it was his fault and should not have placed it there. He gets a silent agree in my head on that one.The Lens elements looked fine externally but I feel sorry for someone that may get that one if its sold. At this point I didn't even mount on my camera and I didn't have to pay for it phew.

Have you guys ever had this happen to you with camera gear or any other costly merchandise.

Last edited:
No, but that story DID make me actually gasp out loud when I read it!

As much of a klutz as I am, you'd think I *would* have destroyed some precious $10,000 artifact by now, but somehow I've always managed to only do truly stupid, clumsy moves that destroy something when the item is actually mine.

Glad that the guy at least understood that HE is the one who left it in a very bad spot.

I was sweating it for a while.Thats like I think two thousand for the sport model.

When I was looking at a canon 500mm prime at a shop I held that thing tighter than my newborn child!

Hmmmmm??? Honey, I had to buy this 300 2.8L II because my wedding ring left a scratch on it when I rubbed it in lust at Samy's camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, I went to look at that lens a few weeks ago but it was only in Canon mount so didn't even bother - good thing I didn't or this might have been me.
The time before that at the camera store and they had received the Sigma 200-500 f/2.8, the guys opened the case on the floor and then closed it again as it seemed nobody wanted to pull out the lens that already had an owner.

I was tempted to try out the Canon 600mm f/4,but I am afraid to touch it and can't afford it at this time.Then again,when I look at the price tag and think dang,I have purchased decent cars for that price.

Hmmmmm??? Honey, I had to buy this 300 2.8L II because my wedding ring left a scratch on it when I rubbed it in lust at Samy's camera.
Yeah but your wifie may just use it more than you !!

Oh ho ho yes, only thankfully I wasn't the one doing the dropping.

I was shooting a guy and his son at a skate park one time for an editorial I was doing about them. I was using my 24mm and had my 70-200mm resting on my backpack so I could easily switch when needed.

Well, the guy went to pick up my backpack and as I tried to stop him the lens rolled right off onto the concrete. I blacked out for a few milliseconds before picking the lens up to inspect the damage. Thankfully, the only problems were a bent filter thread and a small scratch on the front element.

It was an accident, and the lens works just fine, but I think that was the first out-of-body experience I've had.

That sounds shocking!

I knocked my tripod over onto hard flooring this December with my brand new Nikon on it. I nearly cried when I heard It hit the floor.

Luckily it was okay and didn't even scratch. I NEVER leave my camera unattended on a tripod anymore.

This is an awful sales story!!! Falls into the, "Cool story,brah!" type of stuff. MAN, I bet the sales associate took some major flack after you left....suuuuch a bad move on his part!

I hope he didn't get fired, but if I he did,I can't help thinking I could have prevented this as well if I only put the pack on the floor instead.

You should have gone ahead and got the contemporary model and a new D810 to put it on -- problem solved. ;)

Glad he realized it wasn't your fault.

Most reactions

Back