Itching to try 35mm film camera, no idea what to look for

Hey, I'm just curious. I read that the n8008 can use G-type lenses, but only in P and S modes. If it's possible for the camera to set the aperture in those modes, why is not possible in M and A modes? Obviously, it has the indexing mechanism in the lens mount, so what is keeping it from setting the aperture in M and A modes? Does it just not have the programming between the controls and the aperture indexing mechanism?

Nikon f100... it's the film twin to your d300, and it only costs about $200 for an mint example these days.

The F5 is also an option, it's a bit more impressive then an f100, but costs about $350, and many would claim that the f100 is a better camera.

Hey, I'm just curious. I read that the n8008 can use G-type lenses, but only in P and S modes. If it's possible for the camera to set the aperture in those modes, why is not possible in M and A modes? Obviously, it has the indexing mechanism in the lens mount, so what is keeping it from setting the aperture in M and A modes? Does it just not have the programming between the controls and the aperture indexing mechanism?

Nikon G-series lenses have no aperture dial.

Is it because there is no manual aperture control on the N8008 body? That means that the body electronics can control the aperture, but there is no way for the photographer to control the aperture via the body - and since the aperture can't be set on the lens itself, no way of setting the aperture manually. You would have to do it indirectly in S mode.

To use A or M on the N8008 you set the aperture on the lens, not via the body. If the lens has no aperture ring, you can't set the aperture manually.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
^ I'm aware of what G-type lenses are, but that doesn't answer my question of why the n8008 only functions with them in P and S modes.

What Helen said. :)

G-series lenses only work fully on cameras that provide aperture setting
control via the body. I don't believe the N8008 provides that (nor the many
earlier Nikon models).

You should be able to find a Nikon FM on ebay for "a little less then $100."

I sold a near MINT nikon FM on ebay with no reserve for only $48!! I'm done with no-reserve auctions, I expected to get over $100.

Nikon FE's often sell for less then $100 on ebay as well.

Currently....an FM or FE body only goes $35-50. $80-150 gets an F3. Nikkor glass never can be had cheap but I've done very well with Tamron's especially the higher end SP's

Some real low prices now are Minolta man focus, you can get an X370 and several real nice lenses for well under $100.

I'm a fan of Screw mount. A Mamiya DTL is a WAY better camera than a Zenit. Pentax SMC Takumars (M42 screw mount) are rather cheap. You can get a set of auto macro tubes for about $10, a Bellows for $20 and do great macro. The Mamiya is a center needle meter with choce of spot and average pattern. The bodies go for $20-30 usually..sometimes less and since they are VERY tough..will usually work great. Lenses vary, some fancy Zeiss glass can be pricey but,you can get a Tamron adapter for Screw Mt use any tamrons. I like my Tamron SP's better than a lot of the newer plastic AF stuff.

You also can get adapters to use a screw mt lens on many DSLRs

Most reactions

Back