It's a hummingbird invasion!! more photos 8-16-22

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Upped my shutter speed on the advice of someone who regularly gets incredible hummingbird photos. Focus was a bit off on these and noisy but I ran them through Topaz Sharpen and they came out pretty decent IMO. I'm happy with them. I think they're getting used to me because they ventured away from the feeder and onto the zinnias nearer to where I was sitting.

garden visitors by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Nice! I always have a dozen or more flitting around. I haven’t spent much time trying to capture them. This gives me a reminder to do so!

Nice! I always have a dozen or more flitting around. I haven’t spent much time trying to capture them. This gives me a reminder to do so!

I have been struggling to get a decent pic freezing the wings. Upped the shutter speed and saw a big improvement today. I need to get them in a better lighting situation as these were in late afternoon shade and were quite noisy!

Nice! Where did your shutter speed end up at?

Beautiful little birds, you are lucky to have those on your side of the pond.....

A very good set but the first one . . . Wow! An amazing shot.

Wonderful set! Even more so because you got them at the flowers instead of the feeder. I like to use DeNoiseAI first, then Sharpen, then I process in LR to make the shots a little lighter, all with the raw files. I'll have to try the faster shutter speed on my shots.

A very good set but the first one . . . Wow! An amazing shot.
Thanks Rob!
Wonderful set! Even more so because you got them at the flowers instead of the feeder. I like to use DeNoiseAI first, then Sharpen, then I process in LR to make the shots a little lighter, all with the raw files. I'll have to try the faster shutter speed on my shots.

I was shocked that they went for the flowers as they were pretty close to where I was sitting! And they have been ignoring the potted garden center zinnias for weeks. These tall zinnias were planted from seeds at the end of June have just started blooming.

I shot these slightly underexposed. I didn’t do much in Lightroom other than hit the Auto button and then remove the LR sharpening and noise reduction and warm them up a bit to my taste. I like the noise reduction in Topaz Sharpen better than the sharpening in Denoise so I have lately been just using Sharpen and denoising my photos while in there. After that when I get back to LR I will sometimes tweak the shadows and dehaze a tiny bit.

Thanks Rob!

I was shocked that they went for the flowers as they were pretty close to where I was sitting! And they have been ignoring the potted garden center zinnias for weeks. These tall zinnias were planted from seeds at the end of June have just started blooming.

I shot these slightly underexposed. I didn’t do much in Lightroom other than hit the Auto button and then remove the LR sharpening and noise reduction and warm them up a bit to my taste. I like the noise reduction in Topaz Sharpen better than the sharpening in Denoise so I have lately been just using Sharpen and denoising my photos while in there. After that when I get back to LR I will sometimes tweak the shadows and dehaze a tiny bit.
A friend of mine in the country watches the humming birds joust (like in the old console game), and the other day, one landed on his coffee cup and sat there for a moment looking at him. Of course, he looks like a very, very large garden gnome, so I'm sure the humming bird figured that he was no threat.

Most reactions

Back