It's a Wide World

drgibson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another noob here. Yesterday I went to the Japanese Gardens and I decided to focus on using my 10.5 Wide Angle lens.
Shot with Fuji S2 Nikkor 10.5 f2.8 ISO 200. It was late afternoon so there were a lot of shadows and lighting was a bear. Let me know what you think and if you have any tips.
Here is gruop 1.

Deleted.

JapaneseGarden18.jpg

JapaneseGarden17.jpg

JapaneseGarden12.jpg

JapaneseGarden11.jpg

This thread is probably gonna be moved.

Hiya drgibson and welcome to ThePhotoForum.

I have moved your post to the General Gallery. The Photo Critique section is reserved for more serious critique and therefore we like to keep it to one image at a time...
(see FAQS), otherwise it just gets too confusing.

Feel free to post multiple images in other parts of the forum...or to re-post your images individually into the Photo Critique section, with more of an explanation of the shot, equipment used, settings, and some remarks on what you were trying to capture and to show.

Thank you.

I think that the reason that this thread hasn't elicited comment is that there is a lot to say but it's mostly peripheral to the actual pictures. One of the requirements in photography is that use the total environment that you are given to help produce better pictures and not fight with it. In this case, you have certain subjects, mid-afternoon light, physical environment, camera & lens to work with; unfortunately this group you have seems to be a mis-matched set.

A very short-focus lens like the Nikkor fish-eye produces very specific effects and the subject has to lend itself to those effects. - Issues of symetry, object of interest, color all are very important because some of the impoact of a fish-eye comes from its ditortion of what we see.

The pictures you've shown here aren't given any special impact by the fish-eye, in a couple of cased, the distortion probably detracts. #5, #6, #10 show the most effects but the curvature of the field moves everything interesting to the edge and there aren't any distinct objects to focus on.

Because of the extreme distortion, color and differences are important to help the idea sort out what is happening but these are uncolorful scenes, mostly green and brown. The light is really bright in many places and dull-deep-shade in the rest, a tough combination.

If I were you, I would find a book of fish-eye shots and try piece out the points that create successful images and actually try to imitate them until your eye is trained to spot a good fish-eye shot in the world around you.

Thanks. I was going about it all wrong I was trying to limit the effects of the distortion. As for the color it is still bland from winter it should improve as things begin to bloom.

Most reactions

Back