Its just the moon...

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
mg_9064-blog.jpg

It is just a shot of the moon, nothing terribly interesting, but I'm pleased with it.
Like any photographer, I photograph the moon from time to time, and find trouble getting a good exposure, especially if there is anything else in the frame (like a city or landscape, or passing clouds. I don't have to tell anyone here that photographing the moon can be tricky, especially if you live in a city with a lot of amient light during the evening hours…and especially if you don’t have a terribly long lens.

A short lens means you have to crop the photo, and you loose resolution. Try to make a print from an image you’ve cropped back to 3 megapixels and it falls apart like paper mache.

My friend Joi has a 1300mm lens that she let me borrow, and frankly I didn’t know what the hell I was going to photograph with it. It isn’t exactly a top of the line lens, the glass is pretty cheap, and you’re stuck with one aperature at 1300mm (f/16). But it isn’t like you’re going to be shooting sports with a 1300mm lens unless you freeze time and you want to see if the pitcher has put any snot on the ball.

I don’t live in a high rise apartment building surrounded by other high rise apartment buildings so I can’t use it to photograph my neighbors snorting coke off of a hooker’s backside.

So, whats left. Well, the moon. The moon will do.

I shot this just before sunset. At f/16 in the failing light with an ISO of 100, the shutter came in at one second. The lens is heavy, and while my tripod is quite stable, it still pushed down a bit, so it had to be stabilized as best I could. It seems to have worked as I don’t see any motion blur or lens shake in the photo.

I was hoping for some clouds, and I waited about for around 30 minutes, but mother nature wasn’t having any of that, and while I waited, the moon was wandering off. Perhaps I’ll try again when the weather is a little more cooperative.

I don't seemed to be too impressed with that 1300mm lens either, seeing as I can get the identical shot with my 70-300mm usm f/4 lens with a little crop. It's weird that it actually doesn't get much closer than that...

Yeah, I just noticed I didn't have it pulled out. That is actually 650mm @ f/8, not 1300mm
I'll try again tomorrow at 1300 if the moon is out.

I just can't stop laughing about what you would be photographing if only you lived in a high rise surrounded by other high rises... Thank you for the laughter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back