It's not just Americans...

That photo gallery adds a whole new dimension to the story.

At least she didn't virtually kill him off like the Asian woman who killed off her virtual reality husband because he left her in the game. Now the she's facing jail time and/or a fine.

Another sad chapter in the decline of human civilzation. Anyone want to wager on what else is on the hard drive? (no pun intended ;))

I don't mean to incite a hijack here, but I feel I have to comment on you people's claims of "modern society degrading". I completely disagree that modern society is any more or less weird or degraded than in any other period in human history. In fact, I'd argue that despite this article and other stories like this one, modern society is less screwed up than it has been in the past.

You guys don't think there were absolute whack-jobs in the medieval ages? Or the Renaissance? I'd even go so far as to say that even during the golden era of modern public pleasantry and politeness: the Fifties, society was just as screwed up as it is now. A large part of the reason people consider this era so 'refined' and the pinnacle of civilized society was mostly due to the propaganda and suppression of the lower fringes of society. This of course couldn't be contained and in the sixties it all exploded.

There's this tendency for people to romanticize things that happened long ago or used to be. They think without thinking that the music used to be better, the food used to taste better and the people were friendlier. Nearly everyone does it without even realizing they're doing it. It's an illusion. We all just remember what made us feel good and we forget the bland, the uninteresting and the uncomfortable.

I'd argue that despite this article and other stories like this one, modern society is less screwed up than it has been in the past.

Modern Society is screwed up just as much as it always has been - and in pretty much the same ways. There are very few new ways for us to invent (and the old ways are still the most popular).
What has changed is that the world population has increased.
1% of the population being completely off their chump isn't many when the population is only about 1 million.
That's one idiot per village or one black sheep per family.
But when the population is 100 million you start getting whole communities of them.
You also have to bear in mind that being 'screwed up' isn't the same as being socially inept or being not very bright.
Most of what is perceived as being signs of the decline of Society is just people being dumb or unable to cope with life or both.
Someone who hasn't got that many brain cells is easily seduced by a virtual world in a computer. There life is more basic and uncomplicated with few of the unpleasant consequences found in real life - a bit like TV soaps.
Small wonder that people often get confused between what is real and what isn't.
You see it happening here on a regular basis.
The only hope for mankind is that all the wing-nuts will stay plugged in to their computers leaving us intelligent smug b*stards to get on with running the world.
Which is why I'm starting a campaign to give all politicians a computer for Christmas.

Further useful reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_skills

Exactly Hertz! With the population growing theye are more village idiots out there and, the big problem is they are breeding with each other, exarbating the problem.

Modern Society is screwed up just as much as it always has been - and in pretty much the same ways. There are very few new ways for us to invent (and the old ways are still the most popular).
What has changed is that the world population has increased.

that and news travel a lot farther these days.

Most reactions

Back