It's tempting, but is it a good idea?

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
Is it a good idea to buy a 500mm lens which has fungus if it's under a tenner? I know fungus is a bad thing, but I don't know if it can be removed by me. What are the chances of me being able to take the lens apart, clean out the fungus and have a pretty good (but obviously not-as-new) lens? I don't even know if you can take the elements of a lens out and if you can whether you can put them back properly or not.

Well, the best analogy that I'd heard about fungus in the lens was when I worked in the store: It's like a cracked windshield. It's only going to get worse. As far as fixing it yourself, good luck. I personally wouldn't recommend it since it could lead to needing further repair. Personally, I would look for another one. Trying to crack open a lens and fixing it yourself is a pretty tough thing, so I understand.

It would depend on the lens to me. If it is one of these 500mm f/8 teles which you can buy new for $125, I wouldn't fool with it, unless you want it for parts, as you can find these, with patience, for a bargain on eBay (I recently purchased one for $20). If it is a more expensive lens, then I would consider it, whether I succeeded or not, it is at least worth the try for a tenspot. Here is a link which may provide some advice: Fungi in Photographic Lenses.

I wouldn't buy it... I'm afraid it might be too difficult to get rid of fungus by yourself. sometimes it is better to wait a bit, collect more cash an buy something more expensive. that's the case

Well, I'd love a 500mm lens, but who wouldn't? :mrgreen:

I guess my biggest question is, how safe is it to take a lens apart? Probably not very. The only thing I've played with is the aperture. I have no idea if the glass in a lens is a sealed unit or not.
That and how easy is it to get rid of fungus? Does it damage the actual glass?

The lens is made by Paragon who I've never heard of. It probably is a cheap tat one. I just saw it and wondered. So came here and asked.

Thanks for the link, Menard. I'll take a look later. :thumbup:

ferny said:
I guess my biggest question is, how safe is it to take a lens apart? Probably not very.

You are probably correct. Even if you could disassemble/reassemble it, it may not be as easy as wiping the fungus off. Sometimes fungus can eat into lens coatings. It also could be between 2 cemented lens elements.

Are you looking at this lens in person, or is it on the internet? If the fungus is only around the edges then it won't affect the image when used with smaller apertures. I'd say it's worth whatever you'd be willing to pay for a doorstop.

I bought a medium format folder with fungus in the lens (mostly around the edges) for $15, and was amazed at the image quality. I set it in the sun on a window sill with the aperture opened up as wide as it would go, and left it for 2 weeks. Now I can't see any fungus.

Look for a 500mm f/8 mirror lens. You can find these really cheap. Often they have a T-mount, which means you'll need a T-mount to whatever mount your camera body is adapter.

BUY IT BUY IT.

For under a tenner youve got nothing to lose.

If you cant fix it tenner lost if you can then happy days.

I'd say buy it. The fun you'll have playing with it, trying to take it apart and then back together will be worth the ten pounds. Even if it's buggered afterwards.
Then you can become the de-fungifying-photoforum-expert that we'll all run too! Think about the glory!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back