It's time to make a change.

Well, that makes me feel better for the future ... if I change systems ... any way of getting a split screen ?

Well, that makes me feel better for the future ... if I change systems ... any way of getting a split screen ?

I believe my Xt2 has that option in the evf but have not used it yet.

I believe my Xt2 has that option in the evf but have not used it yet.
I wasn't super impressed with the split screen option for MF on fujis.
I use focus peaking with slightly better results

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I only had it less than a week so it's still early for me to make a proper assessment of it haha. I really need to do some real world shooting because all I've been doing lately is just test shots because I'm trying to get a feel for the controls and mess around with settings to find out what works best. I really don't want to go out shooting blind, I would just feel better if I felt more comfortable first once I get a feel for the camera. It doesn't help with that the weather has been crap, I'm sick of snow and I don't want to take pictures of it anymore. I'm done with it. Haha

Watched a ton of YouTube videos on settings and what they all mean. The manual it comes with is horrible, nothing like Nikon's haha. But videos are very handy. I learned quite a bit.

The problem for me right now is that I'm generally a prime guy and being stuck with a zoom lens is making me feel limited in a way. I already bought the 60 2.4 macro, I got it a super awesome price that I couldn't pass up. I'll also be ordering the 35 f/2 soon, even though I said I'm bored of the 50mm equivalent but I thought about it and said you know...I'm familiar with that field of view and is quite comfortable with it so why not keep using it? I originally was going to grab the 23 f/2 but it seems like such a street photography lens and when I compare it to the 18-55 there is not much difference to me. The exception will be the 23 1.4 which I'd like to get someday but not necessary right now.

I think it's funny that some people said the 18-55 is too big. I'm like what? Big? Have you used the 24-120 f/4 VR? 24-70 2.8? This 18-55 is not even close. I have no problems carrying it as a walk around, it's so light, I don't even feel it.

Anyways....

Image quality? I'm quite pleased. Better than I originally expected but its not perfect either and I can't make a proper assessment until I have sharper glass anyways. Even when using the X-Transformer tool from Iridient...trees at a distant in landscapes are not quite as clear as the landscapes from my D610 and that's just the nature of the beast I guess. It's hard to compare a APS-C to a full frame sensors. It's physics. but it's not far off either. I'm okay with it and it may just be the lens. That's why I really don't want to say anything too much right now.

It's a strange thing because at the same time the camera captures mores details in things that my D610 never did and I'm guessing it might do to not having a AA filter.

The dynamic range of this sensor is just incredible. I'd say it's better than my D610. It's absolutely mind blowing. I intentionally blew out the sky and brought it in Lightroom and was shocked to bring the sky back and all the detail was still there...you would've never known and there was no grain. It was clean unlike my D610, yes the data will be there but it's usually noisy when I brought it back.

There is so much to talk about...I absolutely love the manual focus assist with focus peaking. I kind of want to get an adapter and plop on some vintage glass. Eyeing a Nikon 100mm 2.8 series E in particularly :)

I'm surprised at the high ISO performance. I've taken images at 10,000+ ISO and they are perfectly usable and honestly? Pretty comparable to my D610. I thought low light performance was going to be a problem because of the sensor sensors but boy I sure was wrong. It holds up incredibly well and even when it's noisy..I don't mind it. The texture of the noise is different...almost film like in a way. It's very interesting.

Capture.jpg

Yeah they are not the exact same...but you know..pretty dang close especially when you realize you are comparing it to a full frame sensor. I was shocked.

I don't know what else more that I can say right now. Still a learning a bit and I think it will take some time to fully become comfortable with it like I was with my Nikons, obviously because I've used them for 10 years so with lots of practice and a few months of times I should know my way around the camera and be comfortable shooting again. It's been quite fun honestly.

I love the colors the camera renders, especially black and white. The Arcos simulation is wow and I'm a sucker for b&w.

As for video, I'm blown away again! It's outstanding. 4K video looks stunning, 1080p looks even better! The smooth silent AF-C autofocus with the 18-55 during video is a joy. I can't wait to get back to making YouTube videos again. Even the on board stereo microphone works incredibly well in a pinch, but I got my own I'll be using that's even better. I already have 3 NP-W126S batteries so I might buy the grip for it soon so I can have the 30 minute record limit. But I can make do without for now.

Speaking of battery life...much better than I expected. So far I shot nearly 400 photos and with 10 minutes-ish of 4K/1080p video and diving into the menus and switching between viewmodes on one fully charged battery. Not bad at all.

At the end of the day, I feel like I made the right decision.

I don't have many pictures to share otherwise I would. Just been busy with other things right now like installing a stereo system in the classic car and getting it ready for the summer shows. But once the weather warms up and this white crap starts to melt I'll be out there shooting.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
4K video looks stunning, 1080p looks even better
:confused:

Isn't 4K supposed to be better?

1080P is scaled down more than the 4K footage for true super 35 (not cropped) so it looks even sharper. At least to me anyways.

For general YouTube videos...1080 is perfectly fine and you don't have to adjust for the slight crop factor of the 4K footage.

Though..if you record 4K and scale that down to 1080p, it will probably be even better than the 1080p option in the camera since the 4k is higher bitrate. But you'll lose the 60fps.

Last edited:
4K video looks stunning, 1080p looks even better
:confused:

Isn't 4K supposed to be better?

1080P is scaled down more than the 4K footage for true super 35 (not cropped) so it looks even sharper. At least to me anyways.
For general YouTube videos...1080 is perfectly fine and you don't have to adjust for the slight crop factor of the 4K footage. Though..if you record 4K and scale that down to 1080p, it will probably be even better than the 1080p option in the camera since the 4k is higher bitrate. But you'll lose the 60fps.

absolutely true ... but it depends on the definition of "stunning"
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back