It's twofold, really.

MonicaBH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
More north of south, but more south of north.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where do you go to shoot?

I've lived in the Raleigh-ish area for almost 3 years now, but I haven't ventured out, primarily because I don't know where to go and secondarily because I don't want to go alone. I have no idea where to go for some good shots of ANYTHING. I see people with these exceptional landscape photos, as well as city night/slow shutter speed photos that I love. How do I find places to go? I have joined some Meetup photography groups, but they aren't terribly active it seems.

Where did you get your creativity?

Is it something you were born with? I feel like I'm the least creative person on the planet. I haven't got much of an imagination, and I have a hard time "seeing" a nice photo opportunity. I've gotten Bryan Peterson's book, Seeing Creatively, but I can't say it's helped a whole bunch.

Any insight would be helpful. :)

Last edited:
I'm very new to photography and struggle with this at times. When I get bored I'll go in to the garage with my camera and start taking pictures of very non-interesting things to practice composition or exposure. I'm trying to learn to see things in a more interesting ways.

Here are some picture I took that I really like.. I'm not saying these are great pictures technically, but I liked the way they came out. Different strokes for different folks..

From my garage..
bikepracticepic_edited-1.jpg

I went fishing with my family and I took my camera along..I was bored so I started shooting anything I could find in the tackle box..
6895011842_0aac95bd01_z.jpg

I stopped and took this one the other day after dropping my daughter off at summer school. I like the simplicity of it.
7166578881_5c5a9cb6f0_z.jpg

Okay, this is strictly MY opinion, completely unscientific and unresearched:

I don't think it's a matter of being born creative, or not. Personally, I think we are ALL born "creative." Watch little kids--they have a sense of wonder and creativity and imagination that knows no bounds.
I think it's more that some people don't LOSE as much of that "creativity" as others.

So, if you're just "not creative" can it be "taught?" I don't know--my theory is no, it can't really be "taught", but it CAN be "caught." You CAN do some things to help you become more in touch with your creative side.

What can you do?
1. Go SHOOT something. Every day. Just find something, whether you think it's all that interesting or not, and try to shoot it in the most interesting way you can. Is there an interesting angle from which you could shoot it? Is there a part of it you could really emphasize in your photo? Try to "imagine" it as a photo and then try to create that vision.
2. Post photos here. They will get bashed, and trashed and generally ripped apart. :lol: But that's okay; just pay attention to the replies to see how you might have done it differently and then go try again. As you do this, it can help you being to learn to "see."
3. Do a photo challenge. I highly recommend TPF's Fight Club--you get one hour to take one photo in each of 5 categories (and you don't get the categories until the "timer" starts), process them and post them. This can be REALLY hard to do, but it forces you to start thinking "outside the box." There are other photo challenges you can do as well, just google "photo challenge" and you'll find about 16 million different ones you can do. MOST of them are good to just force you to get out there and really start seeing things differently.

There are other things that might help as well, but those are 3 fairly obvious ones that might help "kickstart" your creativity.

Thanks, sm4hm.

I get a little disheartened because I *really* enjoy photography, but I am just no good at it. I got my dSLR about 2 years ago and I think I'm only slightly better now than I was then.

Although I do recognize that this is mostly my fault for limiting myself. So far, most of what I've shot is my pets & my flowers... and those are alright at best. :/

There is a photograph in everything. From the mundane to the exotic there truly is a photograph there. The trick is finding it and isolating it. Walk down the street or around your yard. There are literally dozens of shots there but you aren't seeing them.

Here is a trick that helped me when I was starting out: Walk into a room or outside your house. The FIRST THING YOU SEE is your subject. No cheating and picking a different, more interesting subject, use the very first object you see and FIND the photograph within. It's there, you just have to find it.

Some excellent advice from Scott... to back this up; a couple of years ago, I was lucky enough to attend a presentation given by Dr. Ted Grant; while he was waiting for things to get set up and ready, he was constantly taking pictures with a little M8 he had. After the talk, one of the audience asked if he would show us the pictures he took beforehand, and despite the fact that the setting was nothing more than a group of people standing/sitting waiting for a talk to start, there were several EXCELLENT candid portraits. Lessons here? Twofold! ALWAYS have a camera with you, and shoot everything!

OP, have you considered joining a local photography club? That might work very well for you, both in terms of finding local places to shoot, and having people to go with.

OP, have you considered joining a local photography club? That might work very well for you, both in terms of finding local places to shoot, and having people to go with.

Yep, I've joined the two largest local photography groups on Meetup. Neither are very active, so that's been a bit of a dead end.

Yeah, sorry I just re-read your OP and realized you already said that.
That's a shame.

You got some great advice above about taking pictures of everything. One thing that you could try for deciding where to go- look through your local tourist brochures, and pick out places to shoot from them, like local historical attractions (pioneer village), outdoor sculptures, zoos, etc. If the brochure has a photo you like, try to 1. recreate it, and then 2. make a better image.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Yes, some great suggestions here, now you have to go DO it!Sounds like you're pretty down, and your profile says something pretty negative, like '1 failure at a time ' type comment. We have all been kicked, And some of us more than others. Really. You said your pet photos were only marginal.... WHY? Try them again! You love animals (profile)?.. is there a dog park you can go to? Take Photos at your work and post clients pet photos? Etc...I personally like the suggestion of going to your local tourist places....you won't alone and there will be tons of others taking photos, so you won'tFeel awkward. Look where they are taking their angles from, ask what type camera it is, people are very nice and helpful!Look forward to some shots from you ....soon. :)Nancy

Thanks, sm4hm.

I get a little disheartened because I *really* enjoy photography, but I am just no good at it. I got my dSLR about 2 years ago and I think I'm only slightly better now than I was then.

Although I do recognize that this is mostly my fault for limiting myself. So far, most of what I've shot is my pets & my flowers... and those are alright at best. :/

How much reading do you do/have you done, about photography, photographers, Compositon, and art?
Art history, history of photography?
How much have you immersed yourself into the subject.

Just taking pictures won't get you very far if you don't back that up with understanding of the above listed subjects.

Tami, I still really like that bicycle wheel image. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back