I've been out spammed...

core_17 said:
Some of those just seem like different versions. Like you have forecasted as your version and forecast as ours...those are just different versions (can't think of the word I want. Like this:

"The weather man forecasted rain, but it's sunny out."
or
"I would like to know if it's gonna rain, so I'll turn on the news and watch the forecast."

Verbal morphology!

p.s. My last post looked a bit harsh, but it wasn't meant to be!

Rob said:
Oops, dreamt should have read dreamed!

I was under the impression that your version of the bold ones was:

catalog, dialog, judgment (Terminator 2 film), aging, propeling, counciling, quarreling, dreamt (doh!), leaped, fit, forecast, wed, knit, strove, aluminum, artifact, caliber, canceled, dietitian, donut, lasagna, sulfur

Rob
Technically we swing both ways on those, and either is considered correct. :thumbup: I just love it when you can swing both ways, don't you? :mrgreen: Statistics to the contrary, we still do have wedded bliss over here, and I run an ageing of my accounts at the office every month......see? ;)

Rob!! You're coming to DC, right? Let's make sure we find each other and have a beer, since Bace is being lame and won't party. :x

terri said:
Technically we swing both ways on those, and either is considered correct. :thumbup: I just love it when you can swing both ways, don't you? :mrgreen: Statistics to the contrary, we still do have wedded bliss over here, and I run an ageing of my accounts at the office every month......see? ;)

Rob!! You're coming to DC, right? Let's make sure we find each other and have a beer, since Bace is being lame and won't party. :x

I really really want to... and I will do everything I can to get there. Bace is only just down the road, I don't see why he's making a fuss. I've got a pond to traverse to get to you lot!!

Rob
p.s. BEEERRRRR!!!

Rob said:
It's a combination of lazy enunciation and phonetic shortenings. Basically the general US accent is softer (less plosive, less glottal stops, verbal morphology, syntactic omissions, dodgy prepositions, historic lexical differences like boot/trunk) and people write what they say.

English is declining here because teachers now have more policies where they are required to teach kids to convey meaning, rather than hitting them with wooden rulers. (not the US "rules" you note!) Generally the parents don't correct them as much either.

I'm not an advocate of parrot-learning or hitting kids, but I feel it's a bit of a shame when everyone PUTS A DAMN APOSTROPHE IN EVERY PLURAL WORD THEY ENCOUNTER.

Sorry, rant over.

Rob
Dude, you'd so wither and die if you lived in the SE USA. The first time I heard someone say, "winda" (as in, "You gonna open that winda? It's mighty hot") I felt my brain begin to atrophy..... :lol: It's a battle, and I'm glad we're on the same team, if on opposite sides of the water. ;)

Rob said:
I really really want to... and I will do everything I can to get there. Bace is only just down the road, I don't see why he's making a fuss. I've got a pond to traverse to get to you lot!!

Rob
p.s. BEEERRRRR!!!
Oh, [insert Southern dialect here] both of ya'll quit making a fuss, and just c'mon, now!

:cheers: You make it over, first one's on me! :D

terri said:
Dude, you'd so wither and die if you lived in the SE USA. The first time I heard someone say, "winda" (as in, "You gonna open that winda? It's mighty hot") I felt my brain begin to atrophy..... :lol: It's a battle, and I'm glad we're on the same team, if on opposite sides of the water. ;)

I actually laughed at a Jeff Foxworthy tape once. I'm not all bad. I'm not going linedancing with you though.

Rob

Rob said:
I actually laughed at a Jeff Foxworthy tape once. I'm not all bad. I'm not going linedancing with you though.

Rob
Thank goodness, cause I don't know how. ;) I dance like a 60's hippy chick, in blue jeans and bare feet. :mrgreen: Let that be your guide.

I would totally come visit in DC but apparently it might be a little more difficult to get back in the country if I leave.

bace said:
I would totally come visit in DC but apparently it might be a little more difficult to get back in the country if I leave.
Stay, then. It's warmer. :D We'll have you dropping those superfluous "u"s before you know it! :thumbup:

NEVER!!! I could never pay taxes to a country at war.

....unless I was rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Most reactions

Back