I've got A LOT to learn!

EscapeTurn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took my new D50 for a test run today at the Greyhound track. Man, I love this camera, but I've got a lot of experimenting and A LOT of learning to do. If anyone wants to offer some constructive criticism, I'd really appreciate it.

First of all my editing job is really bad. it was cloudy and the images were pretty dark, and when I lightened them, it turned out poorly. My main problem, I think, was getting the dogs in focus. Ooh, I'm almost embarassed to show these, but I really could use some pointers.

Images are OTE.

These were taken with the kit lens.

race06.jpg

race08.jpg

out of focus :thumbdown:
racer02.jpg

I switched to my other lens for these and got a better picture, I think.
Quantaray 70-300
racer03.jpg

race11.jpg

racer04.jpg

racer05.jpg

And again, horribly out of focus.
race13.jpg

If anyone does any high speed photography I'd really appreciate some pointers! Thanks in advance for any help. :blushing:

rip out all the pages of your manual that refer to automatic settings and learn how to operate your camera in a complete manual state; exposure/focus.

best advice i can give ya. :)

Sorry no help from me, maybe faster shutter speed?? just wanted to say i really like the dof on the second last one, even though the dog looks so sad.:-( and i like how the dog is looking at the camera in the 3rd one.

-Joe

I agree with JonMikal... I am most definetely still learning myself... I found that a good place to start was with Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. He guides you through the basics of the manual exposure, and provides lots of tips and tricks for different lighting situations and subject matter.

Oh, and as always, any good book on composition and the visual elements. I highly recommend Bruce Block, geared toward filmakers, but an excellent presentation.

Thanks for the feedback! The only time I shot in auto was when the leadouts were walking the dogs. For the races I shot in shutter priority with the speed at 1/1250. I've got the Nikon D50 Digital Field Guide that I plan on reading through, but I'll definitely check out Understanding Exposure tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!

you have a good eye. I agree with the others, a faster shutter speed would work, plus, maybe some more contrast. Try submitting pictures to the critique forum, they can help you there

Ya got a really cool subject. Im not a pro at all, but I looked at my manual one time...that was it. The rest was experimenting and practicing.
I look at magazines, and check out other exposures used in the pics there. I keep a notpad with me, and record settings from previous images I have captured, so that I can remember them for a future time. I agree with Jon. I hardly ever use the Auto settings.
Also...hang out here.
Well done. These dogs are amazing.

1/1250 is more than fast enough to freeze dogs running. It looks as though you are focused behind your subject in each case. Are you manually focusing, or auto? Try using your camera's AI servo focus mode. You can hold down the shutter halfway and the focus will track your subjects. You said these were dark also, and you had to lighten them up. I would probably shoot at something around 1/500 instead. If are force the camera to shoot at 1/1250, and your camera is wide open at say f/4.5, or whatever the max of the kit lens is, you might not be getting enough light. Use a monopod or tripod also, if you can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back