I've hit the wall...

I shied away from the 365 figuring that I wouldn't like being 'forced' into daily shots. But I nearly do take something every day. Some days I take crap shots and delete most of them.
I thought the idea of a 365 project was to sort of take a photo diary of your life for a year.
Admit it, we all have some days that are not excellent, or days that we get bored.

So that would reflect in your work.

Any way ~~ good luck.

For me the purpose of the 365 is to spur photographic growth. I usually don't have a lot of time, but I still take something every day. I am always thinking about it.
I've explored more new territory in the past 2.5 months than I had in the previous year since I started with the camera.
But being so new, I have no ego to bruise by putting crap out there ( even though I try not to ), and I have no where to go but up.

If I can make it through 365 days, it will be a good thing to look back on.
I expect that the quality of my 12 month pictures will be noticably better than the first month ones, if for no other reason than lots of practice in all aspects of photography including technical, composition/artistic eye and post.

I can totally relate to going out for a two-hour drive and coming home with nothing. Feels like a total waste of time.

When I first got seriously interested in photography, I dove in headfirst without looking - or caring - how deep the water was. I spent every spare moment, it seems, learning my camera, my software, my vision. Even when not actively learning or practicing, I'd be thinking about depth of field, composition, opportunities to shoot. I bought the equipment, bought the software, bought the idea of being a photographer. This went on for a solid year, maybe longer.

Then, something weird happened. I lost interest. I stopped practicing, stopped processing, stopped thinking about photography. A week of this turned into a month, then several. A few times I forced myself to open up Lightroom or hold the camera in my hands or visit The Photo Forum, but became disinterested immediately afterwards. And, to be honest, the camera felt awkward in my hands. Then, I started feeling guilty as hell that photography seemed like an unpleasant chore. I felt this guilt every day and it made me generally cranky. It was always with me on some level, brewing.

This lasted maybe six months or so, then it passed. I became motivated again, but in a different way; I didn't feel the need to be obsessive about it. I had to re-learn some stuff and learn lots of new things, but I consciously decided to not become frustrated when I was not getting it immediately. It's been another six months since this latest change of attitude and interest, and it feels like it will be permanent. I am more focused, more realistic, more forgiving. And I'm having fun with it.

So, obviously, I burnt myself out. Luckily, it wasn't fatal. In any case, life does go on. Photography isn't everything. But it is something.

Best of luck.

Jon

I realize by now you have gotten tons of advice...that being said I'm adding 2 cents :)
I love doing the 365 on most days. Some days..I don't feel inspired. I think the one thing I've learned so far is there is always something you can photograph no matter where you are. For me, I play with areas I don't get to in my professional life. I do a lot of abstracts and test out some new things in photoshop that I might not do on a client's picture. I think setting a goal for yourself can be helpful. For instance if you know there is an area of your photography that you are weak in, focus on once a week working on it. Or you can find lots of "challenges" to give yourself that may push you to do something you haven't done before. I agree, that not every photograph is going to be amazing...but once you get out of your comfort zone, you really can learn some great things. Also, as someone else mentioned..try shooting ordinary things in a manner that makes them interesting. Figuring how to look at household appliances as art is become much easier than when I first started.
Wish you the best and hang in there

but it seams to me that you did learn alot with this project. maybe not technically but mentally. You realize that forcing yourself is not a good start for the makeing of a good photograph. Our brain needs time. Needs composting time!!!! You might want to take it more relaxed, without expectin anything from it.
You could tray to make a VERY BAD PICTURE. Try to break all the rules of aestheic and formality. Try to think it more like a memoir rather than a photographic task... otherwise you'll go crazy.
best of wishes :)
mic

Big, maybe you could plan trip somewhere. Next year I am planning to go on a Buddhist pilgrimage in India and Nepal. I may also travel to Thailand and Colombia.

I think it would be impossible to not find interesting subjects in exotic places like those. Maybe something to consider......

I'm curious... What exactly is the 365 project? I mean, I get that you have to shoot every day, but what are the rules? One keeper a day? That's a tough challenge!

I have found that with mine, on days that I'm uninspired to shoot something interesting, I make something interesting and develop my processing skills. On Wednesday, I went out and bought myself a Scott Kelby photoshop book and every chance I get I've been reading up on new techniques for things. Nobody is expecting anyone to take 365 gorgeous pictures. I'll be thrilled if I get 12. It's nothing more than a ploy to keep yourself doing new things and pushing your own boundaries in photography. That's the only way to get better at anything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back